Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 17, 2005, 10:52 AM   #1

Boredat home, I sent off to the local park this morning withcamera and tripod in hand.

I noticed this Goose was following me, so after coaxing it close to me by offering it my bread, it waited near me just long enough for me to take these shots.

Both frames were taken using available light, ata speed of 1/320 second at F4.

So am I getting better or worse at photography?, heres your chance to offer me advice and critique the photographs.

Kung Fu Alien
Attached Images

kung-fu-alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2005, 10:55 AM   #2

Second shot
Attached Images

Old Mar 17, 2005, 10:57 AM   #3

My mistake, there were more than 2 shots
Attached Images

Old Mar 17, 2005, 12:09 PM   #4

I really like the 1st one, great close up
choeschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 1:52 PM   #5

I like the first one too. Nice detail. Good job!
Old Codger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 4:09 PM   #6

Very good picture. Subject is well focussed, and the background is blurred nicely, which keeps the eye focus on the goose.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 6:35 PM   #7

All 3 are very nice, but I like the composition of the first one is best. It is great to see someone taking advantage of this forum and putting the critiques to good use.

It looks like you are doing a great job with PSP9 too. I like to see images that do not look fixed-up and you've done a splendid job of it here.

I look forward to viewing more from you.

Rodney

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 3:39 PM   #8

kung-fu-
So am I getting better or worse at photography?, heres your chance to offer me advice and critique the photographs.

Kung Fu Alien

Let me say this...you've given me new hope. I really love that first one! Fabulous close up. I bump into these guys almost all the time at the park where I walk my little dawg. I have shot lots of pics of these guys. This one gives me new ideas. All the backgrounds here at this time of year are really dull, grey, or washed out whites. But the new add on 1.5X I have might just give me some new hope. Thank you for your post, sorry if I'm short on the technical, but had to comment on this beauty. Best regards,

KennethD

To answer your qusetion, yes...you are getting better...my advice? Keep on posting and include the details, so us newbs can give it a try to see if we can reproduce anywhere near your fab shots, (lucky to have the same subjects here) with the same or similiar settings.

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:39 PM   #9

Many many thanks to you and to everyone else who has commented on my shots.

I am a newbie myself, I only got my DSLR last week, so its a learning process for me too.

I have found out that the best way to learn is trial and error, at the moment I verge more toward the side of error, but thats the fun of learning, screwing it up and working out how to make it right.

I am determined not to use the auto settings on the camera though, to me thats not photography, its the camera doing to work and me just pressing a button, im stubborn, I wanna learn the hard way :-)

I use my camera mostly everyday, and shoot just about everything, just to get a feel for my new equipment, and to basically learn how it all works.

Basically I know f2.8 lets in the most light, but dont have a clue what the f stands for, or what iso and asa, etc all stand for, so I have a long, long way to go.

Thank you for your feedback though, it was very much appreachated.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 6:09 PM   #10
Super Moderator

kung-fu

I have a suggestion on the first picture. It seems that you focussed on the bird's body and because of the relatively wide aperture the head, and particularly the eye are slightly soft.

Most wildlife photographers agree that with a close-up of a bird you must get the eye in focus for maximum effectiveness.

btw - Normcar in the Wildlife Forum takes the best bird pictures I have ever seen. Better than anything I've seen published too. And he does it time after time after time. Quite astonishing.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote