Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 18, 2005, 1:14 AM   #1

Dear All,

Attached are some photos taken a month ago in Hue city - Vietnam for your viewing and comments. These photos were taken when I had not known any concept about photography, i.e. ISO settings, shutter speed, white balance, etc. This means that these photo were taken with the camera set with auto mode. However, I am pleased if anyone could advise if the compositions of these are OK or could be improved.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Quan Tran

Attached Images

Quan Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2005, 1:16 AM   #2

The first photo is the Huong (perfume) river. The second is Thien Mu pagoda located on the north bank of the river.
Attached Images

Old Mar 18, 2005, 1:19 AM   #3

And this one is the temple inside the tomb ofEmperor Minh Mang, the second emperor of the Nguyen dynasty. There were totally 13 emperors ruling the country from 1802 to 1945.

Attached Images

Old Mar 18, 2005, 2:27 PM   #4

Wow...! These really catch my eye!! All I can say is that they're beautiful. I love the river one. Perhaps my more enlightened members will have a technical explanation for their appeal, butmy thanks for some very nice pics! Best regards,

KennethD

Having just spoken to a fellow member of my photography class, Quan, we are both curious to know if you know what the auto setting for ISO is in your first picture. We are reviewing this topic currently in class (ISO) and tho my monitor on my laptop is not the best, it seems that the greyish hue in the picture may have been enhanced by the ISO setting. I look forward to your remarks, as I may be able to generate some relevent discussion in class based in this photo. Thanks, best regards,

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 2:38 PM   #5

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
Wow...! These really catch my eye!! All I can say is that they're beautiful. I love the river one. Perhaps my more enlightened members will have a technical explanation for their appeal, but my thanks for some very nice pics! Best regards,
KennethD
It's my understanding that this forum was created so those of us who seek technical and compositional assistance or share our techinques have a place to post. General comments only clutter up the forum. I think the rules are quite clear.

2. Be Honest
If you do not like an image posted, say so. But also remember to say why you do not like the image, and if you can, explain how you think it might be improved.

3. Be Constructive
Critiques should always be constructive, i.e., giving your ideas at how you think things could be improved. If you cannot give a constructive critique, please refrain from posting negative comments. If you like an image, say so & say why you liked it.

As for the images here...

I think all are great, but feel the last 2 images will be greatly improved with a boost in contrast. Possibly a curves or levels adjustment will do the trick.

Thank you for sharing.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 3:08 PM   #6

Looks like you had a real nice trip.

To be honest the 1st photo is the only one that really interests me. The last 2 just dont seem to have anything which makes me go WOW!

On the first one i think it could of been better with more thought of the rule of thirds (maybe less skyline). Also it would be nice if there was something in the foreground.

Would like to see more, nice work
Mealers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 6:43 PM   #7

Hi Kenneth,

Many thanks for your viewing and comments on the photos. These photos were taken with my ultra-compact Canon PowerShot S500 in auto-mode so the ISO setting should be auto. I took a lot of photos in Hue city last Tet holiday (new Lunar New Year) but at that time I did not know anything about manual settings, photography terms: ISO, aperture, shutter, lag time, etc. So I just shot photos in auto-mode and this mode "destroyed" many photos of the great places that should have been taken nicely. Thanks to the forums, free tips and tricks like this one, I have learned a lot.

Regards,

Quan

Old Mar 19, 2005, 6:49 PM   #8

Hi Mealers,

That's exactly! I totally agree with you. The photo is lacking of something in the foreground (I knew this but could not find a boat or something in the foreground at the time I shot this photo) and I also noted the rule of thirds which can be improved in this picture by re-cropping? Also, the second and the third pix are just ordinary.

Many thanks for your viewing and comments.

Regrads,

Quan

Old Mar 19, 2005, 6:54 PM   #9

Hi Rodney,

Thanks for your comments and reminding of the forum rules. Regarding enhancing a photo with Photoshop, I honestly say that I don't know how to use Photoshop. I bought a CD tutoring Photoshop and a VCD to learn it but I think is quite complicated with high learning curve. I wish I will get it over soon.

By the way, I was really impressed on how you used it to blur the background of my photo of the rooster. Now appreciate it if you could enhance the 2nd and 3rd photos by modification.

Thanks again and regards,

Quan

Old Mar 19, 2005, 8:15 PM   #10

I don't know if you are near to this river site still, but if there are similair places near you, I would be tempted to use a tripod, and experiment with your manual settings. I still love the appeal of the river picture, independant of the rule of thirds. The sun's reflection on the water with the details of smaller sunlight reflections to each side of the main reflective coloumn against the color of the river overide the thirds rule IMHO. I would indeed try to capture that again, experimenting with wide angle and ISO settings. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote