Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 18, 2005, 7:35 PM   #1

Here are five shots I made today, I tried my best to experment with light and shade with some of them, but im my personal opinion they came out under exposed (I was shooting the sun though so it was a fine line between under and over exposure).

This is shot number 1, I looked up and saw the sun and wondered how hard it would be to get a shot of it, so I attempted it, and by luck, I managed to get the moon in the shot too.

It was shot at 1/3000 of a second at f11, and as I am poor, it was done with no filter's (very painful on the eye).
Attached Images

kung-fu-alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2005, 7:39 PM   #2

This is the second shot, I basically just pointed the camera at my two year old daughter, focused and shot, just to see what kind of image I would get.

The shot is therefore unplanned, and spontanious (did I spell that right?).

I think it evokes a sense of fun that only a two year old can have happily walking in a park, others may think its just the back of my kids head, either way I would like your comments please.

I shot this at 1/320 second at f4
Attached Images

Old Mar 18, 2005, 7:42 PM   #3

Shot number three was supposed to show perspective, in the background is a wood full of giant trees, mid picture is the open grass fileld, and the small purple doton the bottom right is my daughter.

Personally I think I screwed it up, my daughter looks like a dot, and I dont think there is any real perspective in the picture, plus I just noticed it blurred.

I welcome your comments.
Attached Images

Old Mar 18, 2005, 7:48 PM   #4

This is another shot of the Sun, I shot this at 1/1600 second using f11.
Attached Images

Old Mar 18, 2005, 7:53 PM   #5

And finally this is was supposed to be a wide angle shot of the tree line, taken using3 seperate shots and then pasting them thoether on PSP9, unfortunatly I screwed up the shots and left the bottom out, but as this is a first attempt, and I am here to learn and get get advice I shall include it anyway ....... even if it is crap!

Your comments, and advice on all of the above shots is welcome.
Attached Images

Old Mar 18, 2005, 9:40 PM   #6

The first image doesn't do anything for me, but that doesn't mean it is bad. There is nothing for me to connect with so it's difficult to comment.

The second picture of the little girl walking up the drive is quite nice. I think the viewer will get a better feel of the journey ahead of her if it is cropped vertically instead of horizontally as you have here. I've attached an example crop.

I assume the 3rd image is intended to be a landscape and the little girl just happened to wander into the frame. Our eyes are quickly drawn to human figures so the little girl is a distraction to the landscape. If the child is the intended center of interest you may want to shoot it again. Also, the noise reduction is a bit heavy for this shoot too. You've wiped away some of the detail in the trees.

I feel the same about the 4th image as I do the first. Again, that doesn't mean it is bad. It's just not interesting enough to arouse my curiosity.

The last image could have been nice, but you've chopped off part of your intended center of interest which you state is the line of trees.

Rodney
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 10:25 PM   #7

i like the picture with your daughter in it. i think you shot too high though. i think it would have made more impact if you shot at a lower angle and showed more of the curves of the road further down. when you cut it like you did the photo seems to miss out on what the story is(what's up ahead or how much further or is she's heading home or to the lake, and so on...)

Attached Images

berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 10:48 PM   #8

I agree with Bert. You gonna have to get those knees dirty! :-)

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote