Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 19, 2005, 6:38 AM   #1

I am not really new here as I have been reading these forums and learning for a long time. Today I decided to register and get some feedback on my own work. I have been taking pictures of friends and family for many years and although everyone has always been satisfied, I see so much room for improvement. I welcome any advice as I search to learn all I can.
Attached Images

rubylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2005, 6:41 AM   #2

Here is another one
Attached Images

Old Mar 19, 2005, 8:29 AM   #3

If that's you in the Avatar, I would have thought your daughter would have been much younger.. Re the photos, I like the second one better. In the first, the roses are too distracting to me. That is, as the picture popped up, they are the first thing I noticed. Your exif for that photo reports f5.6.. I would open it up some, f2.8 or similar, to blur the background. I also like to shoot portraits at a slower ISO (100 or less) to keep grain down. I don't notice a lot in your photos so the 400 may work fine for you..

Jeff
:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 8:32 AM   #4

In the first image, the well lit red roses are a distraction. Red or warm colors attract the human eyes. If the background had consisted of more warm colors, the flowers would be less distracting. You are attempting a Low Key scene meaning you are concentrating on darker tones. A darker colored top would have been better to help keep the attention on her face. Camera angle is too low here which makes her nose look kind of wide.

The bright hand in the second image is a distraction. In this scene, you want the face to be the brightest element in the frame.

Overall, both are nice attempts. Both fail to effectively lead and hold the viewer on the center of interest(eyes).

Thank you for sharing.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 8:34 AM   #5

Please don't take anything I say personal, not intended to be, you have alot of potential here.

I would suggest a lower camera angle, model might want to use a different eye makeup technique, she is a very nice looking young lady but the lighting combined with this makeup and her facial structuregives her a racoon eye kind of thing.

How far from the backdrop is your model, need to separate more. This is a distance/lighting thing.

Lastly, the roses are really distracting where they are.

Keep at it, great model, it will happen.

Randy O

randy o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 9:30 AM   #6

Thank you all!! My photos look so much different to me after reading the comments. It really helps to have impartial/honest/experienced judges review your work. I do realize I need more distance between the model and background, my space is very limited at the moment, working on that problemThanks again for the input.