Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 19, 2005, 12:22 PM   #1

I was bored today, so drove to an old 1800's cemetary to practice.

It was really creepy in there. So much so that as I packed up my gear the sun was going down, and I kept turning around looking behind me as I walked back down the little dirt road to my car....... (I wanted to start running actually, but kept my composure).

Anyway, took this one & reminded me of Blair Witch, especially with all the creepy trees that were around. Desaturated, adjusted curves, added some noise & cropped. ISO 100 f5.6 1/200

I know it's a little busy, just wanted to creep you guys out & share my little story of paranoia........

Anybody like it? Any comments/criticism welcomed.

Jeffrey P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2005, 12:52 PM   #2

The composition here doesn't do much for me. Since your intent is to capture an old 1800's cemetary, you may want to avoid getting newer markers in the frame.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 3:05 PM   #3

Rodney,

Thanks for the comments & agreed, the composition is too busy. I also appreciate your comment about the newer markers in the frame. With that in mind, I will return this week and try again, as good comments from experienced people like you help a great deal (along with practice!). I'll repost another try when completed.

Other than the composition & markers, do you think the b&W & noise added anything? How about the lighting, exposure, etc?

Appreciate the feedback immensely, thanks again.

Jeff
Jeffrey P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 4:02 PM   #4

Well, Jeffery...having seen some old cemetaries, and been awed by what I've seen, I personally don't find the newer stones distractive. Overall I like this shot a lot! It definately gives me a feel for being right in the middle of the cemetary. See the headstones in their sort of scattered, leaned over disarray? Does a lot to add to the creepy image. And kind of implies unatural activity occurs when you aren't there to see...very spooky. The busy composition does not detract either. The bare branches give the added confirmation that this is indeed a place for the dead. In fact IMHO this contributes to the disarray and spookiness. Horror and creepy scenes are not known for tidiness. First rate post, Jeffery! Even tho (on my monitor) a bit noisy looking, that just adds to the haunting look. I would not go for a less grainy look at all. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 4:35 PM   #5

Jeffrey P wrote:
Quote:
Rodney,

Thanks for the comments & agreed, the composition is too busy. I also appreciate your comment about the newer markers in the frame. With that in mind, I will return this week and try again, as good comments from experienced people like you help a great deal (along with practice!). I'll repost another try when completed.

Other than the composition & markers, do you think the b&W & noise added anything? How about the lighting, exposure, etc?

Appreciate the feedback immensely, thanks again.

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

I'm glad you are planning to reshoot this scene. Next time, get a variety of angles. Shoot from lower ground and then move to higher ground. Also, late in the evening on a clear day will give you more directional light that may ad more drama to the scene.

The overall scene would have been lacking in color so I'm not confident that b/w conversion did much to give it more impact. Because the image is lacking in other areas, the noise really isn't an added bonus.

Though the intent here is to capture a cemetary, you'll have a more effective image if you give the viewer something to focus on. Making a cluster, row of markers or a single marker the center of interest with surrounding markers as supporting elements will be more effective. To make the entire cemetary the center of interest, you'd need a much wider view with supporting elements such as trees or grassy areas creating a buffer or frame around your center of interest.

Be sure to shoot with your camera level to the horizon.

Good luck and I look forward to an update.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote