Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 19, 2005, 7:24 PM   #1

Hi everyone, I like this picture of the duck flying, but I think the picture could be better. Comments are welcome!
Attached Images

djazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2005, 7:57 PM   #2

3 questions pop to mind. What camera did you shoot with, and were you originally in B & W ? Did you suspect you might catch this winged goose in action or were you acting from a split seconds notice? It makes a difference to know these things for best planning how to prepare for next time... using this as a base...Best regards,

KennethD

Olympus 8080...right? (man I know...call me Kreskin!) Got one part of my answer all figgered out already...) more inna minnit

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 7:23 AM   #3

Thank you KennethD, yeah it's with the 8080. I was trying to make them fly and when they did they caught me off guard. No, I didn't shoot in BW it's suppose to be in color. I think I put the ISOat 400 and set the camera on action mode. I would like to hear more of your comments. Thanks
Old Mar 20, 2005, 10:38 AM   #4

I don't know why the previous poster thought you shot in b/w mode...the blue in the whites is quite obvious as is the greens in the trees.

I think a closer view of the flying duck will work better. Try a variety of different crops with your original. I'd also warm it up a tad to give the light more presence. I've cropped and altered the colors a tad to give you an idea. Also a curves or levels adjustmet will give this scene more contrast.

Rodney
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 8:23 PM   #5

Hi Rodney, I forgot to mention that I had set the camera to cloudy. Could this be the reason that the picture looks like it's in B&W? Also, I cropped as you suggested but I still couldn't get much color detail show after enhancing. How do I get the duck to come out bigger?
Attached Images

Old Mar 20, 2005, 9:19 PM   #6

I've just redone this one. I think this looks better.
Attached Images

Old Mar 21, 2005, 12:49 AM   #7

The last one looks very nice to me.

Thanks forsharing.

Rgds,

Quan
Quan Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 2:11 AM   #8

djazz wrote:
Quote:
I've just redone this one. I think this looks better.
This looks about right to me, too. You might try a few cropping experiments, and maybe clone out the branches around the goose. For a pre set it looks very nice to me. That would be a Canada Goose, of course...just had to point that out, as opposed to a duck, and I love shootings pics of them, they always give lots of chances, if you are a little patient. Beautiful flyers too, with nice wings. As anyone can see from this nice shot. Best regards,

KennethD
Old Mar 22, 2005, 1:16 AM   #9

Thank you KennethD for the tips. My daughter also told me that it's a goose not a duck. :-)They're all the same to me. But, I'm going to keep working on my technique and hopefully posts more of the ducks...oops I mean geese.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 4:38 PM   #10

Hi Djazz, there were a couple of things in here I really wanted to try. Hope you don't mind. I took out the tree above and below the goose, and took out the tire tracks. I love the shadow of the goose on the snow so I enhanced it a bit. Best regards,

KennethD
Attached Images