Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 21, 2005, 5:19 AM   #1

Well, more a large pond than a Lake, but it is a Swan.

Apart from buying a 1DSMII, what, if anything, could I do to get less blur on the wings ? Or does it look OK like this ?

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2005, 5:57 PM   #2
Administrator

It looks like the infamous f/7.1 "bug" surfaced it's ugly head.

So, even though you were at full zoom (equivalent to 200mm with a 35mm camera), the camera went with f/7.1 and 1/125 second (versus using a larger aperture and faster shutter speed).

You see this"quirk" with the A2 discussed a lot around different forums (A2 selecting f/7.1with a slower shutter speed at longer focal lengths in P mode).

In similar conditions, you may want to shoot in Av (Aperture Priority) mode and select a larger aperture (smaller f/stop number) to get faster shutter speeds.

The problem with the A2 selecting f/7.1 (even it will result in shutter speeds slower than the 1/focal length rule of thumb) has been reported to KM numerous times by camera owners (but to date, they have not addressed this via a firmware upgrade).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 4:08 AM   #3

This was in fact at 340mm (86.36) with my TCON. I neglected to set the tele lens acc option in the menu and as a consequence it didn't give the false reading of 300mm (76.2).

Fortunately, or perhaps I haven't taken much notice, my A2 doesn't seem to be afflicted too often with the f/7.1 bug. I have just taken a number of shots with the same settings, same overcast conditions and it's recorded f/4.5 and f/5.

I will heed your advice and use manual settings more readily, heck that's what they are there for !

Thanks Jim.

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote