Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 22, 2005, 11:16 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
RodneyBlair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 966
Default

Stevekin wrote:
Quote:
I think that as Rodney said "something similar to my example", I'm sure he won't mind if I agree with you both to a degree. I still think that a little bit on the right is no good, but to preserve the intimacy i've kept the arm in and lost a little to the left, up to her hand. What do you reckon ?
Your second crop is better than the first, but still lacks the visual effectiveness we generally want when shooting people.

Your objective here is to draw the viewer to the center of interest and hold them there. Visual lines such as shadows or highlights that draw the viewer to secondary areas of interest are fine and quite effective when you've provided a route back to the intended center of interest.

Here(all presented crops) the viewer is quickly drawn to the darkest element in the frame which is the girls dark hair. The hair provides the framing and lines needed to draw the viewer to all 3 faces. If we leave her arm in the picture, we are providing an area of interest for the eyes because of the shadow on her arm. The problem is that the shadow provides a leading line out of the frame.

Someone mentioned that your original provided more depth to the scene, but that is not true. If anything, it lacks depth because the light intensity is similar on the arm and background. If the background had been darker or much brighter, then you would have provided a more dimensional rendering of the subject to give the viewer a sense of depth. If someone is going to critique this picture and claim the original gives a sense of depth, I'd like him to explain how and why.

If the lighting was the same on all 3 faces, you'd have a few more options. Here, the tighter the crop the more effective your image will be.

Rodney



RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 12:28 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 99
Default

Rodeny, doesn't your edit fall under the rule of not cropping at the joints?
Proxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 12:38 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
RodneyBlair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 966
Default

Proxes wrote:
Quote:
Rodeny, doesn't your edit fall under the rule of not cropping at the joints?
Since my crop arouses this question for you and you seem to have knowlege of the rules then you should share with us how and why this falls under this rule. I'd be interested in reading an explanation.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 1:41 PM   #14
Super Moderator
 
peripatetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,599
Default

Quote:
P.S. By the way Peripatetic, as you appear to now be based only in London, is it not time to change your user name ?
I reckon I'll hang on to it for a while yet; I'll be back in SA a little later in the year. Besides, it's metaphorical too, my current wandering around is in photography. A few months ago I was playing rather a lot of chess. I don't know what I'll move on to next.

And just to prove the point - I find I'm getting tired of my little game of winding Rodney up, he's no longer even maintaing a pretense of civility - which gives me a points victory I think. So I'll leave him to his floccinoccinihilipilification and I'll wander off to the other post-your-photos forums.

I might return when he gets tired of playing "I'm the King of the Castle" and leaves the forums altogether, but I won't hold my breath for that particular event!

P.S. I've been waiting years to use that word spontaneously in a sentence - cheers Rodders. :-)
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 2:12 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 99
Default

RodneyBlair wrote:
Quote:
Proxes wrote:
Quote:
Rodeny, doesn't your edit fall under the rule of not cropping at the joints?
Since my crop arouses this question for you and you seem to have knowlege of the rules then you should share with us how and why this falls under this rule. I'd be interested in reading an explanation.

Rodney

Wasn't claiming to know the rules; I read in another thread that you weren't supposed to cut a frame off at the joints, and since yours cuts off at the shoulder, I was just curious why you framed it that way.


Proxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 2:20 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
RodneyBlair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 966
Default

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
P.S. By the way Peripatetic, as you appear to now be based only in London, is it not time to change your user name ?
I reckon I'll hang on to it for a while yet; I'll be back in SA a little later in the year. Besides, it's metaphorical too, my current wandering around is in photography. A few months ago I was playing rather a lot of chess. I don't know what I'll move on to next.

And just to prove the point - I find I'm getting tired of my little game of winding Rodney up, he's no longer even maintaing a pretense of civility - which gives me a points victory I think. So I'll leave him to his floccinoccinihilipilification and I'll wander off to the other post-your-photos forums.

I might return when he gets tired of playing "I'm the King of the Castle" and leaves the forums altogether, but I won't hold my breath for that particular event!

P.S. I've been waiting years to use that word spontaneously in a sentence - cheers Rodders. :-)
It is interesting that it is OK for you to disagree with me, but when you "think" I've disagreed with you, we have a problem. Frankly, I think you have a sour attitude.

You presented an idea that could be effective so I decided to ponder(think over) your comments. I then asked, if you visualize the girl as a background(supporting) element. I was reminded of a portrait I recently shot of a mother breast feeding her baby. The infant is the center of interest and the mother is a supporting element. It is quite effective and made an awesome b/w print.
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 2:50 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
RodneyBlair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 966
Default

Proxes wrote:
Quote:
RodneyBlair wrote:
Quote:
Proxes wrote:
Quote:
Rodeny, doesn't your edit fall under the rule of not cropping at the joints?
Since my crop arouses this question for you and you seem to have knowlege of the rules then you should share with us how and why this falls under this rule. I'd be interested in reading an explanation.

Rodney

Wasn't claiming to know the rules; I read in another thread that you weren't supposed to cut a frame off at the joints, and since yours cuts off at the shoulder, I was just curious why you framed it that way.
Not cropping at the joints is a good rule to keep in mind and I generally follow the rule. This particular image has a lot of near joint cropping anyway, so one more isn't going to make much of a difference. Also, the angle here makes it less of a disturbance. My crop was intended to be for demonstrative purposes only. I never offered it as a final solution. If I were cropping this for myself, I would have cropped more from the left side, though less will work well also.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 3:05 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,724
Default

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
P.S. By the way Peripatetic, as you appear to now be based only in London, is it not time to change your user name ?
I reckon I'll hang on to it for a while yet; I'll be back in SA a little later in the year. Besides, it's metaphorical too, my current wandering around is in photography. A few months ago I was playing rather a lot of chess. I don't know what I'll move on to next.

And just to prove the point - I find I'm getting tired of my little game of winding Rodney up, he's no longer even maintaing a pretense of civility - which gives me a points victory I think. So I'll leave him to his floccinoccinihilipilification and I'll wander off to the other post-your-photos forums.

I might return when he gets tired of playing "I'm the King of the Castle" and leaves the forums altogether, but I won't hold my breath for that particular event!

P.S. I've been waiting years to use that word spontaneously in a sentence - cheers Rodders. :-)
My hope is that you'll continue to add another perspective and preserve the "balance" of opinion in this forum, Peripatetic. I Have spent a disproportionate amount of time in the hallowed halls of learning during my 58 years, (IMHO) and have had the privilege of mingling among many of the more learned in our society, from time to time. (I do not pretend to actually B E one of them however) One thing I've noted when in the presence of many of these esteemed people is that they don't hesitate to present their ideas, even to the layperson...as educated opinion. "In my opinion", "From my viewpoint", and other means of graciously presenting their perspective very often introduces their audience to an insight both enlightened and valuable to know. Our hobby, while providing us with a venue for sharing our artistic endeavors, allows us to enjoy a wide spectrum of opinion about our work. No credentials are demanded and one can just as easily pass himself off as an "expert" as others can introduce themselves as "novice". Honesty and integrity eventually rise like cream to the top, but a little stirring expedites the procedure. I have enjoyed your posts. IMHO, your comment andphotographs are the mainstay of Steve's. Fantasy and pretention, modesty and grace, genius and ignorance...like the masked revellers at a costume ball, we may choose to dance with them, but...we don't have to go home with them. The night is young and the music has just begun. Stay! Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 3:19 PM   #19
Super Moderator
 
peripatetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,599
Default

Blimey - I didn't mean I was leaving Steve's, just the Critiques and Techniques sub-forum.

I'll still be around in all the other Post-Your-Photos forums, and what would everyone in the Canon forums do without me. :-)

And that's one of the nicest compliments I've ever had. I appreciate it most sincerely.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 3:57 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Stevekin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,611
Default

Well, my thanks to ALL members for your ideas. As I said, I am still learning and find the advice hereinvaluable, from all quarters.

Regards,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 PM.