Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 21, 2005, 5:08 AM   #1

My Grandson George and his cousins in a paddling pool, converted using Digital Imaging Tools' Convert to BW Pro.

Everyone I show this to really like it, (well they say they do !), but I'm sure they are biased as they are family members. They also, like me, lack a few photography skills.

Any suggestions please.

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2005, 1:01 AM   #2

Steve, I love this image, it shows a lovely moment between the children. I would prefer to see the whole of the girls head, rather than the veiw shown here, however that is just my own perosnal veiw.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 2:56 AM   #3

Thank you Sianon for your kind words. Yes, perhaps it would be nicer to show all of her head, but as I hinted above, my compositional skills are lacking, or were, as this was taken approx 6 months ago. The only cropping was to remove a distracting white strip near the bottom, nothing off the top. Another mistake I have made is that these aren't his cousins. George, my Grandson, (front right),is in fact with his Uncle Aaron and Aunty Lauren. But that's got nothing to do with photography, just me not thinking right :?.

Stevekin.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 3:34 AM   #4

The girl's head being chopped off is just fine for this particular scene. I'd crop it differently though. Something similar to my example.

Rodney
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 3:58 AM   #5

My compositional skills not quite so bad then Rodney :-)

I do like your edit, the space to the right doesn't serve any purpose and your crop adds to the intimacy of the image. Something I just didn't notice. I tend to concentrate too much on the focal point of the image to the detriment of the rest of it, but I hope to learn from yourself and everybody here.

Thanks again,

Stevekin.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 8:01 AM   #6
Super Moderator

I disagree about the crop; the girl's arm frames the two boys nicely, I think it loses a nice sense of balance if it's cropped out.

It's a lovely shot - I'd leave it as is.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 9:56 AM   #7

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
I disagree about the crop; the girl's arm frames the two boys nicely, I think it loses a nice sense of balance if it's cropped out.

Now that u mention it...ya, I like the area to the right as well. For me it adds more depth, and gives the viewer a feeling of "being there" with the subjects. Very nice. This will be looked at over and over again through the years, I'm sure. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 10:10 AM   #8

I think that as Rodney said "somethingsimilar tomy example", I'm sure he won't mind if I agree with you both to a degree. I still think that a little bit on the right is no good, but to preserve the intimacy i've kept the arm in and lost a little to the left, up to her hand. What do you reckon ?

P.S. By the way Peripatetic, as you appear to now be based only in London, is it not time to change your user name ?
Old Mar 22, 2005, 10:18 AM   #9

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:

Interesting concept for me to ponder. It never occured to me that when presenting 3 subjects it is visually effective to frame 2. So the girl is a background element?

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 10:27 AM   #10

I'm currently in the lucky position, in that I don't know squat. And I find both ideas appealing. It's great to get differing opinions and I'm sure it will help me to ultimately make upmy own mind. Till then, I am enjoying the learning process. Thanks guys.

Stevekin.