Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 21, 2005, 5:27 AM   #1

I shot these over the weekend, they are unedited, and not touched up, just resized to fit this forum, hence there might be some distortion.

Let would appearchate guidence on how to acrtually capture these images again using my camera rather than tips on how to sex them up using editiors please.

AlsoI would likeguidance and advice on each of the shots and the questions I ask, obviously if you wish to feed my hungry mind with more info please feel free.

ISO 160 - shutter 1/125 - f3.6, until otherwise stated.

Basically what I would like to know is, how do I bring both the foreground and background into focus?

Attached Images

kung-fu-alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2005, 5:30 AM   #2

How could I have made this shot look more "alive" when taking the shot?
Attached Images

Old Mar 21, 2005, 5:32 AM   #3

Again, I think this would have made a nice shot, if the centre was not blurred, so where am I going wrong?
Attached Images

Old Mar 21, 2005, 5:35 AM   #4

To me this picture looks flat, it has colour, and I guess the bug on the flower offers it a subject, but why does it look so bland and boring?, is it the composition, the subject? or just the fact that is is a boring photograph?
Attached Images

Old Mar 21, 2005, 5:45 AM   #5

Now when I thought of taking this shot, I imagined the mixture or purple and white and the grain of the spices would have made a nice piece of eye candy, but it looks like I was wrong, so whay is that so, is it because I am just starting out in photography and do not have that "photographers eye" I hear mentioned, or is it just that the subject is a choppedonion and therefore boring?
Attached Images

Old Mar 21, 2005, 5:49 AM   #6

This shot is obviously under exposed, but again, the background is blurred.

Now did I take this shot too close?, if I had taken the shot a few inches back therefore revealing a greater amount of the subject matter would that have made this a better shot?
Attached Images

Old Mar 21, 2005, 5:57 AM   #7

ISO 200 - shutter 1/1300 - f11

I tried and tried to capture the lighting filament in a bulb, standing on a chair in the kitchen, yes I should have used a tripod, but fitting the tripod and me on the chair proved REAL difficult, and subsequently falling off the chair proved REAL painful!

So, where my settings wrong?

The desired effect was the illuminated filament and asdsociated parts to be revenaled and nothing else, but as you can see, I could not get it right :sad:

I have taken into account camera shake, but I really want to get this shot right.

I spent over an hour standing on a chairtill my arms ached,so guidance and advice is much appreachated.

BTW - the dirt speck you see are on the bulb and not on the lens.

(Mental note - next time clean the bulb)

Attached Images

Old Mar 21, 2005, 7:42 AM   #8
Administrator

kung-fu-alien wrote:
Quote:
ISO 160 - shutter 1/125 - f3.6, until otherwise stated.

Basically what I would like to know is, how do I bring both the foreground and background into focus?

Depth of Field (the amount of the frame that is in focus, as you get further away from your focus point) is based on Focus Distance, Aperture and Focal Length.

When shooting a subject at a close focus distance, depth of field will be very shallow.

To increase Depth of Field, shoot with a smaller aperture (represented by a larger f/stop number), and try not to "fill the frame" as much (shoot from further away and/or use less optical zoom).

Now, shooting with a larger aperture (smaller f/stop number) is sometimes desirable, so that the background is out of focus. This can help your subject stand out from distracting backgrounds.

Here's an online Depth of Field calculator you may find useful. Select your camera model, and plug in some values to get a better idea how these factors (focus distance, aperture and focal length) impact depth of field.

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Make sure you use the actual focal lengths (not the 35mm equivalent focal lengths) for calculations. The lens on your Fuji has a focal range of approximately 7.8-46.8mm (which gives it 35mm equivalent focal range of approximately 35-210mm).

Note that if you do decide to use a smaller aperture for some of your shots (so that more of the image is in focus), your shutter speeds will be slower. So, you may want to use a tripod for best results.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 6:17 PM   #9

WWWWWOOOOOOSSSSHHHHH !!!!

Thats the sound of that going completly over my head :-)

OK, I think its time to invest in a book on digital photography.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 6:24 PM   #10

Book has now been purchased:

Dictionary of Photography and Digital Imaging

by Tom Ang

Once again Ebay saves my life!