Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 24, 2005, 11:54 PM   #1

Hey all,

Unfortunately I haven't posted in an embarrassingly LONG time, I have however 'lurked' all the while so I have been keeping up so to speak. Anyway, having been wanting to participate in the 'Critiques and Techniques' forum I felt as though I should put my ownexamples out there first to start being a active member again before offering my opinions . So if you would, let me have 'em. Thanks in advance for any comments, critiques, or suggestions.

Dave...
Attached Images

DaveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2005, 12:53 AM   #2

Hello Dave,

It's a nice shot and you'll here how it is a great image that you'll cherish for a lifetime. I do not feel you've effectively presented your intended center of interest.

The scene is predominately dark which means the largest brightest object is the focal point or center of interest. Here, the stone road or path wins all the attention. You probably can correct this in photoshop.

You've followed the rule of thirds here by placing the windmill on the left vertical line. Possibly, framing with the windmill on the right side would have looked like the road is leading to the windmill creating a visual path rather than a distraction. The path would still have been the prominent element, however.

The sharpening here is so strong that it degrades the image.

Thank you for sharing.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 1:02 PM   #3

Thank-you Rodney for you response. I agree that the road/path is a distraction being to bright. Being new to my photo editing software, I haven't learned how to tone it down a bit yet by itself (butWILL be trying). Framing the windmill to the right let in a distracting peach tree and the other side of the culvert/ditch I was standing in, which I didn't like. I think the over sharpening you mentioned was caused by my inexperience (again) at resizing my photos for posting with my software. I'm getting better though... I hope to post a 'revised' version of this photo with a 'toned down' path, and will be eager for your or anyone's comments.

Thanks again for the thoughts.

Dave...
Old Mar 25, 2005, 1:27 PM   #4

Here's a QUICK stab at toning the road/foreground down a bit. Also, a little better (I hope) at resizing for posting. I wonder though if my 'inexperience at photo editing' is causing more harm than good. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Dave...
Attached Images

Old Aug 3, 2005, 4:46 AM   #5

I agree with rodney, there's too much sharpening going on. tone down the sharpening a bit, makes it more natural, soft isn't necessarily bad either, depending on the photo. i know it's hard and even i get a little "sharpen-happy" sometimes, but ya should only take it so far. Other than that it's a great photo i think.

-Michael-
johnsonM86 is offline   Reply With Quote