Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 25, 2005, 8:42 PM   #1

Here is an attempt at enhancing clouds and colors to make a dramatic landscape. The bottom is intended to be dark. There are houses that would just distract from the sky. I like the way the tree is back lit.

Does it work for you? Comments? Suggestions?

Gordon
Attached Images

Gordon_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2005, 9:54 PM   #2

I like the image...but if it were mine, I might crop off some of the dark area at the bottom & some from the left side (to move the tree slightly more to the upward-left). That would also lead the bright clouds towards the tree.

My curious questions are...enhanced in camera or afterwards? Was it shot as a Jpeg or RAW? BTW, good to see you posting here too Gordon!
Old Mar 25, 2005, 11:06 PM   #3

Hi Gordon!
Nice exposure control of highlights. I too would take a slightly different approach to cropping, but that is a very subjective issue. In terms of shadow detail I could not pull up anything useful which supports the notion of cropping some out.
Nice work!
Tom B. (TMc)
TMacaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 11:32 PM   #4

Kalypso,

I had already cropped off half of the bottom dark area, so I was biased to not remove more. Removing more might be good.

Inorder to post the image here, I dropped off the color look up table (CLUT) to make the image smaller. If I posted a regular jpeg the colors would be more intense.

The original shot was in jpeg. I duplicated it into two layers in Photoshop. One layer was set to multiply at 50%. The other was set for color burn at 60%. Then flattened and tweeked a bit more. An easy way to boost parts of an image. Printed at 16 inches wide there is a lot more detail in the clouds and tree.

Tom, thanks for your comments!

Gordon
Old Mar 26, 2005, 6:49 AM   #5

gordon.. very nice technique. i would agree with kalypso that a little more off the bottom should be cut off but its okay as it is.
i'm curious, the mid-right section. the dark clouds seems to have a pattern. did you play with that on your post processing?

again, nice shot..

bert
berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 8:51 AM   #6

Bert,

That pattern was enhanced by my manipulation, but I didn't directly change the settings for that section. I tried to balance the whole image without making changes for just parts of the image. That is where I draw the line between enhancing a digital photo image and re-engineering it into digital art image. There is nothing wrong with digital art, it is not what I wanted in this image.

Thanks for the comments,

Gordon
Old Mar 27, 2005, 4:01 AM   #7

You do not demonstrate back lighting on the tree in this image. However, you do demonstrate a nice silhouette.

I like the idea, but would like to see less uninteresting space than what you have here. I've attached a cropped version for demonstrative purposes.

Rodney
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 8:51 AM   #8

Rodney,

Thank you for the correction, its obviously a silhouette and not back lighting. My brain wasn't thinking straight.

I like your suggested crop. It simplifies the image and gives it a cleaner focus. I was intrigued by the ripples in the clouds along the right and didn't want to loose them. But that broadens the area of interest in the image and dilutes it.

Thanks,

Gordon
Old Mar 27, 2005, 9:14 AM   #9

Gordon_O wrote:
Quote:
Rodney,

Thank you for the correction, its obviously a silhouette and not back lighting. My brain wasn't thinking straight.

I like your suggested crop. It simplifies the image and gives it a cleaner focus. I was intrigued by the ripples in the clouds along the right and didn't want to loose them. But that broadens the area of interest in the image and dilutes it.

Thanks,

Gordon
Gordon,

You should try out a few different crops. The idea is to eliminate some of the uninteresting space. You can take it from the bottom, either side or both.

I cannot count the times I've ruined scenes like this. My eyes would see something spectacular, but my camera would capture an uninteresting blob. LOL

Thank you for sharing!

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 7:02 PM   #10

My thought is that this shot offers lots of flexibility depending on final display of the image. The first one is just fine for a wall print where this aspect ratio 'fits'. I can see Rodney's doing equally well on a narrower surface or in a smaller framed piece.
Regards,
Tom B. (TMc)
TMacaw is offline   Reply With Quote