Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 26, 2005, 8:18 AM   #1

I tried to get pictures of a tulip to a. get the feeling of spring and b. have it done like you could use them as some sort of card to send to someone for easter or whatever. I chose not to try to get the whole bunch of flowers, but to maker it more "guessing". First one done outside in available light, second inside with some help from a slave flash from above. I use a rather strange combinaton of lenses on my Powershot S60, because it's not that good in macro. A use one or two close-up diopterfilters ánd add my Canon teleconverter. Gives me macro but at a more comfortable distance.

Maarten
Attached Images

Maarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2005, 8:19 AM   #2

second one.

Maarten
Attached Images

Old Mar 26, 2005, 12:08 PM   #3

Hi Maarten,

Such a great flower with attractive detail! I see the first image as 'flat' in terms of lighting. The 2nd is also interesting, but for my taste I prefer something in between 1 & 2. I hope you try for some more highlight, shadow in a shot just like #1.
Thank-you,
Tom B. (TMc)

TMacaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 12:45 PM   #4

Thanx Tom for that. Since flowers only have so few days in a vase, it means I have some homework to do tonight. :-)
Reading all comments to all pictures forces you to watch more closely at other peoples pictures and your own. In the meantime while homework is not done yet, I fiddled a bit with the "flat" picture to make it come to life a bit more. But I hope I'll have more new pics this evening!

Maarten
Attached Images

Old Mar 27, 2005, 5:49 AM   #5

TMacaw wrote:
Quote:
Hi Maarten,

Such a great flower with attractive detail! I see the first image as 'flat' in terms of lighting. The 2nd is also interesting, but for my taste I prefer something in between 1 & 2. I hope you try for some more highlight, shadow in a shot just like #1.
Thank-you,
Tom B. (TMc)
Tom (and others),
Here's my redo of the tulip. More light and different, lighter, background. Tried to get the transparency of the second pic without losing too much of the details and "flames"in the flower.

Hows that?
Maarten
Attached Images

Old Mar 27, 2005, 10:40 AM   #6
Administrator

From a composition perspective, I really like the first one. From a lighting perspective, I really like the second one.

Here's my attempt at brightening up the colors in your first image. Trust me, my editing skills stink. I used an old (and easy to use)software package called Photogenetics and picked a rendition I thought looked a bit better, without overdoing it too much (with the exception of the stem). But, it's certainly no match to theimpact of the lighting in your second image.

Edit: If you'd prefer I didn't post an edited version of your image, I'll be happy to remove it. I just thought I'd show what a simple to use software package with virtually no skill required (perfect for me ) can do when you get a somewhat flat image.
Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 12:35 PM   #7

Thanx Jim for your comments. Of course I don't mind you giving examples of how you think things could be done differently. A picture tells a thousand words, isn't it?!. And this section is all about advise and learning.
But knowing what the flower looks in reality I must say you overdid the "bringing out the colours" just over a tad. It's much more subtle.

Which one did you mean with my second? The flashed from above with dark background or the upright one with white background?

Maarten

Old Mar 27, 2005, 1:14 PM   #8

I'm with Jim. The composition of the first one does more for me. Jim's edit also gives this flower life and impact that the original was lacking. As you can see, you captured all the detail, but failed to pull it out.

Jim was working with a resized compressed for internet version. You should be able to get more detail out of the original.

Thank you for sharing.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 1:21 PM   #9

RodneyBlair wrote:
Quote:
I'm with Jim. The composition of the first one does more for me. Jim's edit also gives this flower life and impact that the original was lacking. As you can see, you captured all the detail, but failed to pull it out.

Jim was working with a resized compressed for internet version. You should be able to get more detail out of the original.

Thank you for sharing.

Rodney
Ooops...I forgot to mention. When doing flora such as you have here, don't be afraid to get creative. Unless your goal is to capture the natural texture and beauty of the flower, don't hesitate to pump up the saturation or soften it with a golden glow as you might a beautiful super model. Of course, there will always be those who will say it doesn't look natural, but you are an artist. Right? :-)

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 6:56 PM   #10

I agree, the composition in #1 is great. Your first attempt at processing the image was a good start. Jim C's attempt is darn good. The big step is getting very close to these with the true scene lighting and settings. Then, I agree with Rodney and Jim in terms of feeling free to add some 'pop' as you choose.
Thanks.
Tom B (TMc)
TMacaw is offline   Reply With Quote