Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 26, 2005, 7:15 PM   #1

I don`t know why the sunset today wasn`t red, just at the end the sky turn to orange. Anyway I did this photo and I would like to know who can I improve this kind of shot.
Attached Images

belibeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2005, 12:05 PM   #2

Not much you can do about the color--there was probably some haze in the air that filtered the colors. I've taken sunset shots where the sky looked really (almost artificially) red, but that's just the luck of the day and location. You could manipulate the color in this photo with an editing program like Photoshop, Picasa, etc. and see what happens.

I wonder how that scene would have looked a little earlier--with the sun further above the horizon and reflecting along the water toward you. The sky colors wouldn't have been so deep, but that bit of extra light might have brought out a little detail in the foreground (very bottom of the picture). And that long reflection of the sun along the water can look very pretty. It would also be interesting to see how the photo would look if you aimed a bit to the right, so the sun would be at (or close to) the center and that pier support at the left would be out of the scene. It keeps "pulling" my eyes to the side.
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 12:39 PM   #3

from my personal experiences. after a sunset, its also a nice time to shoot the sky. you just have to slow down the shutter speed(use a tripod). key word, experiment.

berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 12:29 PM   #4

I have a Eos 20d and I usually underexpose my sunset shot about one stop and it seems to bring out more of the colors. I usually then lightin it up in PS. You might try to bracktet the exposer but I can tell you that overexposing a sunset isn't the best.
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 4:16 AM   #5

Most of thehints you've gotten so far will enhance your future shots. However if you want to enhance the shot you posted try using a photo editor to redden the shot. The sample editing shown below is not the greatest since it was done in all of 30-seconds but you get the drift.

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 5:28 AM   #6

Try graduated filters. They allow you to properly expose the foreground without overexposing the sky. Your pic is very noisy, also. Use a tripod to allow shower shutter speeds with a lower ISO.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 6:19 AM   #7

well, here's my feeble attempt.

played with the levels and saturation
Attached Images

berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 8:28 AM   #8

HereĀ“s my attempt, Just fixed levels and curves.

SinRastro is offline   Reply With Quote