Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 28, 2005, 11:04 PM   #1

Key is 22"x22" softobox with louvers placed left of subject. Fill is bounced from large umbrella 10' above the camera. Hair light is subtle only to hold the hair texture. Background light is bare strobe with barndoors opened so some light will hit the back side of his head.
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2005, 6:53 AM   #2

nice, unusual, almost looks like a statue
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 1:52 AM   #3

Hey Roders,

New profile photo.

You took my advice, , haha nice one.

Anyway, I like the profile shot too, and agree with the above post thatit is very statuesque. Reminded me of some Greek or Roman face plates I had seen in a museum over here in Berlin. I haven't seen this style before and think you may be onto something here. While I'm not experienced enough to comment to greatly on the technical merits, I can say that it appeals to me and I'm sure many others too. Maybe a commercial winner for you.

How about going even further and completely darkening out all but the eye and face, in actual fact showing only the face profile with eye and cheek. Pushing the statuesque qualities up. Then moving that image a little more to the centre, but not fully.

When I first opened this thread there was obviously some light hitting my screen because that is how it looked to me and had a wow impact. As the light changed I then started to see that in actual fact the whole image of the head was there. Then I wasn't so happy with it. Anyway just my instinctual reaction.

Take it easy.

vindolanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 3:15 PM   #4

vindolanda wrote:
Quote:
Hey Roders,

New profile photo.

You took my advice, , haha nice one.

Anyway, I like the profile shot too, and agree with the above post that it is very statuesque. Reminded me of some Greek or Roman face plates I had seen in a museum over here in Berlin. I haven't seen this style before and think you may be onto something here. While I'm not experienced enough to comment to greatly on the technical merits, I can say that it appeals to me and I'm sure many others too. Maybe a commercial winner for you.

How about going even further and completely darkening out all but the eye and face, in actual fact showing only the face profile with eye and cheek. Pushing the statuesque qualities up. Then moving that image a little more to the centre, but not fully.

When I first opened this thread there was obviously some light hitting my screen because that is how it looked to me and had a wow impact. As the light changed I then started to see that in actual fact the whole image of the head was there. Then I wasn't so happy with it. Anyway just my instinctual reaction.

Take it easy.
I'm a people photographer so expect to see my avatar change often. The change wasn't due to any comments or suggestions...just what I felt like at the time. :-)

I'm confused...You'd rather see a face floating in space?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 4:25 PM   #5

The center of interest shows here with the emphasis on the eye.

I sat away from my monitor to look at this and it has an even more dramatic effect.

I even ended up taking a beach towel and held each end behind me and extended my arms to block out anything reflecting in my monitor. Wow! Very nice. I also managed to look like a complete idiot toa friend of minedoing that so I could better see this shot.

Just told her she would not understand and left it at that.

What I thinkvindolana meant (but I may be off on this) is that to try and see the highpoints of the face coming out of the darkness.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote