Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 29, 2005, 1:01 AM   #1

this was throught the glass. what do you think?
Attached Images

Ralph Ceglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2005, 10:12 AM   #2

Ralph,

The dirty glass is very distracting and the fish aren't in focus. If this is your or a friend's aquarium, get the glass sparkling clean and try again.

Aquarium fish are a real challenge. You've avoided reflections from the glass, but the shadows from the flash are very evident. If you set up a tripod and use natural light, the fish usually move too much for a slow exposure.

Good luck,

Gordon
Gordon_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 6:17 PM   #3

I'm in agreement with Gordon, but would like to include that this image lacks clarity due to low contrast. Firing a flash into glass will rob you of some contrast.

Overall this image is slightly under exposed, but you have some blown highlights. Apparently there is something reflecting the light to cause the blown highlights.

Here is a quick edit for comparision.

Rodney
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 7:59 PM   #4

Fish in a tank are tough. These look like Pirahna which are silvered and highly reflective. It looks like some type of aerator is running to cause bubbles. What I find most distracting though is the TV in the top of the picture.
torgrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 9:19 PM   #5

Thank you all for the response. This picture was taken at the zoo in a cave with all the dangerous animals, so having said that the room was pitch black this was a tough shot but somebody has to attempt it, as far as the reflection no tv i do not know what it was.

Here is another one taken in the same cave.
Attached Images

Old Mar 29, 2005, 9:40 PM   #6

Ralph,

Your images are pretty good but lack clarity. By clarity I mean, they are not sharp and lack contrast. Here is your image after I gave it a quick-fix to give it a little punch.

Rodney

Attached Images

Old Mar 29, 2005, 11:03 PM   #7

Rodney - If you dont' mind me asking, what method did you use for the "quick fix" above. Many of my shots look similar to this one before you 'fixed' it. I'm very interested in learning techniques to help me fill in the gaps until my experience catches up.
thx
davedeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 11:11 PM   #8

davedeal wrote:
Quote:
Rodney - If you dont' mind me asking, what method did you use for the "quick fix" above. Many of my shots look similar to this one before you 'fixed' it. I'm very interested in learning techniques to help me fill in the gaps until my experience catches up.
thx
I kept it pretty simple for this one. I did a levels adjustment to boost contrast and sharpness and ran a low level Unsharp Mask to boost sharpness and contrast a tad more. Interestingly, sharpening can increase contrast and more contrast can increase sharpness.

Rodney
Old Mar 29, 2005, 11:27 PM   #9

what do i do to the camers to take a sharper picture is there something ?
Old Mar 30, 2005, 2:30 AM   #10

Rodney,

This is not about the subject on the thread but about your avatar. I must say it is nice to see someone who uses a solid color shirt and a printed tie to complement one another.

I for one loathe both a striped or printed shirt with either a striped or printed tie together.

Great avatar.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote