Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 29, 2005, 2:10 PM   #1

I've red that the photo has to have one interested focus without distraction. This one I think has three, the child, the kitten and his mother. Why not?.
Attached Images

belibeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2005, 8:46 PM   #2

You're the boss (and the artist). For me, the cat on the ground pulls my attention away from the girl and the kitten.
If I wanted all three in the final shot, I would probably choose to position (and pose) them differently. Maybe there is another message you want to convey to important people viewing your work.
There are lots of opinions and references on this topic, but a solid, classic source is Joe Zeltsman. In his Tutorials on posing families and groups, he is able to pose several subjects in a manner which allows them to complement each other and also draws the viewer's attention to their faces. That may not be your goal, but his methods demonstrate techniques which you can adapt.
Regards,
Tom B (TMc)
TMacaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 4:15 AM   #3

I think that family and group are diferent kind of photo that I try to show here. It's dificult to get a good position of three animal subject, (one is my daughter but she can move so erratic like the others animal).
I pull off the kitten's mother but the message of the photo is quite diferent.
Attached Images

Old Mar 30, 2005, 4:47 PM   #4

To me it looks like the girl has been pasted into that photo, or something have been cloned out in the centre bottom. It looks a little "fuzzy" around that area
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 9:29 AM   #5

You're right, I removed some bottles and cans from the floor by PS.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 9:40 AM   #6

With the cropped shot you now have what kept drawing my eye in the original picture. The mother cat in the original was to me a distraction that kept drawing my eye from the 'main' subject which is your daughter and the kitten. My eyes were always drawn back to these two. The way that your daughter is looking at the kitten is very effective and makes me follow her gaze to the kitten. Had the mother cat been a bit sharper and clearly looking at the kitten that may well have worked better.

That said it's your picture and if you are happy with it that is the important thing.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 8:51 PM   #7

I believe I like the original version better. The look the mother cat is giving the girl tells a story with the picture. With the cat cropped out, it loses some interest.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 9:31 PM   #8

i agree with VT, the original is best. it does tell a story.
berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 5:22 AM   #9

The only thing I get from the original is eye fatigue from bouncing from one subject to the other. I wish this forum were less "I like, I like" and more about what is or isn't visually effective. Indeed, while shooting for the more visually effective shot, we will capture many images like this one to include in our photo albums. Why can't we strive to achieve the best?

This edit is a little more pleasing to me because the cat seems to be looking at her kitten in this one which pulls it all together to tell a story. I don't get the feeling the cat is looking at her kitty in the original...It looks more like she is looking at the camera.

Rodney
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 5:09 PM   #10

I love this solution. I would like to know so much PS work.