Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 30, 2005, 7:36 PM   #1

Here are the results after considering all comments received on previous attempts. Whatcha think?
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2005, 7:57 PM   #2

Rodney,

I have never looked at a picture as long as I have with this one. Never have I seen anything like it.

I findthis tobe ominous.

Absolutely one of the best pictures I have seen as a"Masterful" artform with the use of light.

This is just my opinion.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 1:16 AM   #3

I guess I wasn't paying attention to the other thread, and will have to check back to see why you came up with this.

Very minimalist. Do you think you could make it a little darker :G?

Interesting as art but you probably won't sell a lot of portraits like this.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 2:00 AM   #4

Hi again Rodney,

I previously wrote:

Anyway, I like the profile shot too, and agree with the above post that it is very statuesque. Reminded me of some Greek or Roman face plates I had seen in a museum over here in Berlin. I haven't seen this style before and think you may be onto something here. While I'm not experienced enough to comment to greatly on the technical merits, I can say that it appeals to me and I'm sure many others too. Maybe a commercial winner for you.

How about going even further and completely darkening out all but the eye and face, in actual fact showing only the face profile with eye and cheek. Pushing the statuesque qualities up. Then moving that image a little more to the centre, but not fully.

You were confused withthis last post in your earlier thread? Fairly simple really and then explained by anotherperson there. Yes I thought it would be interesting to see the highlights of the facecoming out of the darkness. But only by blending the rear of the head into the darkness.

Once again I came into work this morning and I usually spent10 min or so on this site and have a look around. The sun is coming in through the window and the reflection means all I initially see of your photo is the highlights coming out of the darkness. (Now I am starting to remember that I have seen this effect in another shot some time before and thoughit very nice.) This silhouette I thought was alsoquite striking. Anyway when I hold my hand up to the screen I see that the shotis not quite as abstract as I believed and the whole head detail or outlineis there.

By all means it is a wonderful shot, which I would love to have been able to createasit stands. I was merely conveying an opinion that was generated by accident due to the refection on my screen.It had more of a wow factor for me than when I visualized the true shot. I thought maybe your clients would also like an abstract profile in a similar way if offered?

I understand this is a Critiques and Techniques area and my lack of that in any high level photographic way may mean a lot less to you. More so with the fact I have happened upon this by chance. You may prefer that everything is achieved by text book learnt and thought out method. Which the photographermay glean more credit for.Though in truth all credit is given to you for this fantastic shot. Anyway as I have said, its merely an observation offered in good spirit and of course only my opinion.

Great shot. I really like it as it stands or otherwise.

Hey, I was only pulling your leg on the profile photo,and didn't really assume anythinginfluenced by itschange.Interesting though how the two different shots manage to convey a whole different impression of someones opinions when communicated on a medium such as this. :-)

Ian

p.s.

I tend to disagree with the last postand think this would possibly sell very well.I work as a design engineer and am heavily influenced by all aspects of design and imagery.Minimalism is in style and will remain so fora longtime to come. Framed correctly this would fit well in the homes of many young modern people. The abstract imagery may also sit more comfortably with those otherwised slightly opposed toany narcissistic portrayalof hangingone's own image. Or for the giving as a gift for that matter.

vindolanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 2:48 PM   #5

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
I guess I wasn't paying attention to the other thread, and will have to check back to see why you came up with this.

Very minimalist. Do you think you could make it a little darker :G ?

Interesting as art but you probably won't sell a lot of portraits like this.
brian
I know my market pretty well. I'll not have any trouble selling this style, but that doesn't discourage me from attempting to make it better. I've decided this is the style I'll use and build on it...Maybe an accent light here and there. I dunno, but will share when I figure it out.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Rodney
Old Mar 31, 2005, 2:55 PM   #6

I think is much better than the previus one.
belibeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 3:26 PM   #7

Hello Ian,

My opening comment about this image didn't necessarily refer to suggestions received here. I meant overall suggestions.

I'm not so sure I'd like the head blending into the darkness. I think it will lack depth, but I'll certainly give it a try.

For my taste, this one lacks a nice highlight to shadow transition. I'll attempt to correct this by placing a reflector in front of the subject opposite the key light. Hopefully, this will produce a more pleasing light falloff from the cheek to the back of the head.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts...I'll keep them in mind for the next go at this.

Rodney