Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 31, 2005, 2:59 PM   #1

I have tried to get the best colour to this shot and I have never get a good one, too red or too blue. How to balance it?
Attached Images

belibeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2005, 3:20 PM   #2
kex

Here's my attempt:
I used selective colour adjustement in Photoshop and changed white, red and yellow colours. Playing around helps. maybe you can get a better result.
Attached Images

kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 3:33 PM   #3

Good job, thanks. I'll try using Linux-Gimp.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 3:39 PM   #4

Here is a corrected version. I used the catchlight in her left eye as my white selection.

It will help if we know what photo editing software you are using.

Rodney
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 5:12 PM   #5

Im just here to say that she is a stunning subject, very photogenic
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 7:06 PM   #6

I'm probably going to regret this, but here is my attempt. As usual, I defer to the more expert, studied opinions of Rodney and our friends like Frank and Kalypso... But I figure if I don't try anything, I'll never learn.

Here, I used a levels adjustment layer in PS Elements 2, but I took the highlight from her earring. I then applied a contrast mask, which slightly bumped up the contrast and (to me) brought more attention to the girl's face. Bear in mind, I have a terrible track record when it comes to colour correction, but I found this more appealing.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://www.darwinonline.org/index.php?cat=11078

P.S. The girl is lovely.
Attached Images

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 10:32 AM   #7
AMG

It seemed pretty good to me at first. Monitor calibration is a big factor, but here`s a very small adjustment, ( and my monitor may not be 100 calibrated I realize )
Attached Images

AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 4:40 PM   #8

Rodney as I said before, I use Gimp under Linux.
Old Apr 2, 2005, 4:04 AM   #9

With such an appealing young subject it's very hard for me to get down to color dissection. It's just that the eyes and smile and sunlight on her cheek really light up this picture. Pretty darn good in the original. Tom's comes in not much different from the original and very appealing. Once I've gotten over the pleasant impact of first glance, really the only area in the photo where the color looks a bit off is the area below the bottom lip, just looks a tad greyish, but that's hardly worth mentioning. The cheek, eyes, hair are the major eyecatchers (IMHO) and they look great to my eye. Belibeli, where do you think the red or blue needs improving? In what part of this picture? Sorry, it's just not that glaring to me. (I'd like to get more aquainted with your interpretation) Thanks, best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 9:37 AM   #10

The original seems to have been shot at fairly close range with a fill flash. (see the sharpness of the shadow under her chin) While it is possible belibeli may have used a filter on his flash, it's more likelythat he didn't.That being said,it does seem to me that the cast on the girl's face should be more white than golden. (though the gold is very attractive on her).

One thing I considered was to soften the edge on the flash shadow so the glow looked more like ambient light, but this thread is only concerned with finding the correct colour.

I remain interested in Belebeli's original question; how to get the best colour out of this shot.

Regards

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://www.darwinonline.org/index.php?cat=11078
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote