Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 11, 2005, 5:50 AM   #21

I showed this shot to my Uncle who is a pro and even he said it must have been digitally altered.

Well that was until he just read your explination, his words were "<expletive> me, its a real shot!"

Amazing photograph, it has me showing it to everyone I could trying to phathom out how you did it.
kung-fu-alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 2:32 PM   #22

Thanks for the comments guys.

ThreeTikis,
Quote:
Thanks for a thought provoking thread. It was interesting and fun
Yeah, I enjoyed this, glad you did too.

rjseeney,
Quote:
This was rare opportunity to catch this type of shot, and was done so well, that nobody thought it could be done (including myself).
You and me both mate. At the time I took the shot, George threw the apple and my only thoughts were, "s**t, I hope that doesn't hit my camera" and not "I hope I caught that apple in the shot". Couldn't believe it myself when I saw it on the LCD.

kung-fu-alien,
Quote:
I showed this shot to my Uncle who is a pro and even he said it must have been digitally altered.
Exactly why I posted it.

Quote:
Well that was until he just read your explination, his words were "<expletive> me, its a real shot!"

I'm just relieved that people believe me.

Quote:
Amazing photograph, it has me showing it to everyone I could trying to phathom out how you did it.

Thank you, although with the reason for my posting I didn't expect it, that was just what I was hoping to hear, I am really pleased with it. I'm just glad George hasn't worked out how to spin a ball (or apple) yet :lol:.

As far as how.If you, your uncle or anyone else fathoms it out...............please let me know, so I can maybe do it again :G.

Thanks to all who commented and I think we can all agree, that with digital it is becoming more difficult tosee what is actually real.

Thanks,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 8:16 PM   #23

Steve: OK, great, yes it is, or now it aint. Love the shot, but it doesn't take much to confuse me.
Kid is really cute, applle looks good, picture needs some work. LOL
Really enjoyed the exam, it is amazing how easy it is to alter digital,or not alter it, maybe without even realizing the impact.
Thanks for sharing with us.
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 8:58 PM   #24

I was taken in completely, after peeking at the EXIF . At that shutter speed, I would not expect the apple to be that sharp, even with flash.

So did he hit you with the apple, and is the camera OK?

brian

VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 3:40 AM   #25

Golfer, I will play with the pic again to tidy up what needs tidying up, I just remembered I had this shot and wanted to get opinions on the apple capture, so just a quick edit to get it out. That's the only reason I posted it, not for the merits or otherwise on the shot, just, does it look real or not. If I had faked it I would be very pleased with my Photoshop skills and probably had a quiet chuckle to myself for fooling everyone. But it didn't work out that way. It's real and everybody thought it was a good edit :roll:. Glad you liked it.

Brian, My wife will swear in a court of law that this capture is genuine as she, along with George and myself, is the only other witness to the event. I showed it to George immediately after the shot was taken but couldn't get him to understand the reason I was amazed myself, so doubt if I can rely on him to back me up :-).

Obviously the apple could not have been spinning very much, if at all, and the angle was pretty much straight on, with the apple just missing my left side by centimeters. I seem to recall I was only about 6 feet away from him, maybe less.Pleased to say it didn't hit me and very relieved to say it didn't hit the camera.

I can fully understand why most thought it was fake, if I hadn't taken the shot myself I would have thought it fake !!

Who said you needed a DSLR for action shots ?

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Regards,

Stevekin.

Old Apr 12, 2005, 11:36 AM   #26

Stevekin, please do consider your pic as a submission for Steve's Photo of the Day!:idea:
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 11:47 AM   #27

And take him to tee-ball practice ASAP. The kids a natural knuckleballer!
Old Apr 12, 2005, 1:08 PM   #28

digcamfan wrote:
Quote:
Stevekin, please do consider your pic as a submission for Steve's Photo of the Day!:idea:
Praise indeed, thank you digcamfan. I am under no illusions as to the extent or otherwise of my abilitiesas aphotographer. Therefore I will clean up the image a little better and submit it for DPOD, perfectly happy in the knowledge that if my pic is not considered,with the high standard of submissions, I will not get downabout it. I just really enjoy my hobbyand I am pleased others have enjoyed this pic and thread.

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
And take him to tee-ball practice ASAP. The kids a natural knuckleballer!
George was 14 months old when I took this shot, (now nearly 18 months), and his throw is getting better every day. He loves to kick a 'soccer' ball as well. Just have to get the hand to eye coordination sorted out now :-)

Thanks,

Stevekin.