Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 9, 2005, 1:04 PM   #1

hi i have just bought a nikon d70, & would like some opinions please.

this photo was taken at a friends who breeds them. it was taken in program mode

regards danny

ps be gentle a first time noobie on this board:lol::lol::lol:

sorry had to resize
Attached Images

rogoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2005, 2:51 PM   #2

Very nice shot of a magnificent Goose Hawk. Can't quite make out which of the 15 or so Hawks this is, due to me being colourblind :roll:.

The only thing I would like to see different is the background. I just find it a little confusing with the Hawk blending in to it's surrounding, it might just be me. Would like to see some more next time you visit your friends, try to get one away from the bushes.

Great shot Danny.

Regards,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 3:57 PM   #3

GREAT closeup but crop some of the right and top maybe.
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 4:18 PM   #4

Nice shot.

I am a keen to learn newbie on this board, and in fact to photography, only been at it a month.

I tried to photograph a goose and posted the picture on here a few weeks ago, and I was told by severial people to focusin onthe birds eye, and the rest will just fall into place.

I have to ask though, why did you compose the shot with onlyhalf the bird in it?

Its a beautiful creature, but it looks kinda lost in the frame with all the green background, a closer view of the bird, or a more distant view of the bird may have looked better ... im my opinion.

I cropped your image to show you roughly what I mean, bird now fills the frame, and folage falls into the background.

I also slightly blurred and warped the folage to give a sense of distance between it and the bird.

Its a very rough job though.

Feel free to look up my attempts at photography and rip it to pieces too.

Regards

King-Fu-Alien
Attached Images

kung-fu-alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 6:31 PM   #5

thanks for the opinions guy's, & i can see exactly what you mean about the foliage. its too much. @ kung-fu-alien the reason it is only half a frame of the goshawk is

IT'S DEAD, & has been mounted on a base (professionally of course) & if i tried a full frame you would see a hardwood base . but i have seen your edited version & i admit it looks better. so would you think more dof is needed to completely blur out the background? or maybe change the background completely? ie photoshop ect

i have played around with this next photo taking in mind, what you have said about the background,& have cropped it so the main focal point is on the subject this picture is of a goshawk & grouse. both are dead & have been mounted
Attached Images

Old Apr 9, 2005, 6:45 PM   #6

Now thats an answer I never expected! :lol:

To be honest I am just expermenting with DOF myself, so to compensate for my errors I use PSP9 at the moment.

Using more DOF would obviously bring the deerly departed bird into a more prominant place in the shot, whilst photo editing software wold also allow youto "create" the image and try various backgrounds and techniques.

To be honest I would experment with both ideas and see the results.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 6:46 PM   #7

rogoff wrote:
Quote:
thanks for the opinions guy's, & i can see exactly what you mean about the foliage. its too much. @ kung-fu-alien the reason it is only half a frame of the goshawk is

IT'S DEAD, & has been mounted on a base (professionally of course) & if i tried a full frame you would see a hardwood base . but i have seen your edited version & i admit it looks better. so would you think more dof is needed to completely blur out the background? or maybe change the background completely? ie photoshop ect
I just want to make a quick clarification here so we all are on the same channel.

Greater DOF means you have more area in focus.

Shallow or Less DOF means you have less area in focus.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 6:53 PM   #8

thanks rodney,

we are now on the same channel, as i thought it was the other way around. i told you i was a noobie:lol::lol:
Old Apr 9, 2005, 7:05 PM   #9

rogoff wrote:
Quote:
thanks rodney,

we are now on the same channel, as i thought it was the other way around. i told you i was a noobie:lol::lol:
It took me a while to get it right too so I certainly understand. Let "D"epth be the reminder. You want more depth or less depth.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 7:33 PM   #10

im just posting this to compaire the original pic to my sexed up one

Attached Images