Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 10, 2005, 2:01 AM   #1

Since I started taking pictures more seriously (not qualified to speak of photography yet) I find myself looking at the ordinary things more closely. Thinking: gee that would have made a great picture/photograph. What a nice structure, colour has this object or view.
This fence in the dunes did the same to me. Combination of the barbed wire, the old wood and the stripes of paint. And the spotless sky.
No post processing, just cropped it from portrait to landscape, because the original was a bit boring in composition. Thought long whether or not to keep the top of the pole in the picture of not. Made it as it is. Could post the original too, should there be any interest.

Please comment to help me make another step towards photography.

Maarten
Attached Images

Maarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2005, 10:11 AM   #2

Maarten,

I really like the subject and the composition, but the image lacks sharpness, especially in the wire. The image also appears washed out. The red should stand out. I tried a little manipulation and got he colors bright, and the wire a bit sharper, but sharpening a low-res web image causes artifacting. Perhaps you could try some adjustment of the original.
I can post my attempt if you like...

mactek
mactek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 1:08 PM   #3

Hi Mactek,
I gave your suggestions a thought and I was in serious doubt. Not about the sharpening, but to make colour less washed out. Part of the charm of the fence WAS that all is washed out: the wood, the white paint, the red paint. Together with the not-too-saturated colours of the dunes. Gave it a try nevertheless. If only for the sake of further discussion and exchange of views.

Maarten

Attached Images

Maarten is offline   Reply With Quote