Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 15, 2005, 7:54 PM   #1

This one was a bit of a challenge. The wind was getting gusty and the area was a little shaded. I managed to work with it and here is what I come up with.

Rodney
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2005, 8:53 PM   #2
Administrator

The only think I don't care for is the flower in the background (the one that's OOF, but still visible). I'm being very picky here (as I tried hard to find anything needing improvement to my untrained eyes).

Everything else works fine for me. I especially like the camera angle, since it allowed all of the flowers to be in focus along the branch/stem, with the background still blurred with the aperture you selected. I even like the way it they are arranged horizontally near the center of the frame.

I personally like this approach a little better than the typical compositions you see with some flowers in focus, and others not.

IOW, I don't think I'd change it. It's different but effective for this subject. Your border color (with the possible exception of the white portion) work quite well with it, too.

As for the flash, if you wouldn't have said you used one, I wouldn't have known it.

I could definitely see this one hanging on a wall.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 9:05 PM   #3
Administrator

Looking at the photo for a little longer, I'm having a hard time deciding if my initial impression was right.

When I imagine the flower in the background missing (the one I thought could be distracting at first), then I can see the image as being too simple. IOW, it seems to serve a purpose that I can't quite put my finger on.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 9:11 PM   #4

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Looking at the photo for a little longer, I'm having a hard time deciding if my initial impression was right.

When I imagine the flower in the background missing (the one I thought could be distracting at first), then I can see the image as being too simple. IOW, it seems to serve a purpose that I can't quite put my finger on.
Hello Jim,

I'm inclined to lean toward your intial impression. Maybe I can darken the background flower a tad so it has less of a presence??

Rodney
Old Apr 15, 2005, 9:19 PM   #5
Administrator

Rodney, looking at it further, I think it's the white portion of that flower that is the distracting part. So, if that portion could be made darker, that might do it.

It's hard for me to imagine exactly what impact this would have before seeing it (I'm speculating as to what may work better). You'd need to experiment some to see.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 9:30 PM   #6

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Rodney, looking at it further, I think it's the white portion of that flower that is the distracting part. So, if that portion could be made darker, that might do it.

It's hard for me to imagine exactly what impact this would have before seeing it (I'm speculating as to what may work better). You'd need to experiment some to see.
How about this one?
Attached Images

Old Apr 15, 2005, 9:38 PM   #7
Administrator

I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help with this one...

I probably wouldn't have noticed the flower in the background to begin with, if I wasn't trying to find an area for improvement.

Now that the white portion is gone, I really can't say if it's better or worse.

Perhaps others will comment.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 9:57 PM   #8

I was not distracted by the background flower, until 'sensitized' by the discussion! Now, I find the original less distracting than the revised. The reason, at least to my eyes!, is the large solid pink flower is more prominent than the white to dark shading of the original.

I think the background flower's presence adds depth and dimension to the photo.

Bob

bob_ledyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:11 PM   #9
Administrator

bob_ledyard wrote:
Quote:
I think the background flower's presence adds depth and dimension to the photo.
Yep -- my fault.That's why Iquestioned my original comment.... At first glance, it seemed to be a distraction (but only because I was scrutinizing it, sinceIknow Rodneyisalways looking for ways to improve images).

But, after looking at it longer, I had a hard time imagining if it would be better without it.

I think you've probably hit the nail on the head. It adds some depth to the photo. Without it, it couldbe a little too simple.

Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:11 PM   #10

If I may Rodney. Would you rather it was more like this Jim ? I can see what you mean about it being slightly distracting and rather than tone it down, thought it might help you make up your mind with it gone.

Regards,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote