Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 16, 2005, 6:07 AM   #1

As I don't often even feel the slightest bit of interest in photographing flowers, over the last few days Ive forced myself to step out of my comfort zone and try. What do you think?

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2005, 2:00 PM   #2

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
As I don't often even feel the slightest bit of interest in photographing flowers, over the last few days Ive forced myself to step out of my comfort zone and try.
I'm not comfortable shooting flowers because I lack interest too. It has become more of a challenge for me and I feel it will help me develop my compositional skills.

I edited your image to give it more clarity and impact. Have you tried a tighter crop?

Rodney

Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 7:46 PM   #3

yes I tried a closer crop but wanted to try something different as I had been cropping all my shots too close.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 9:55 PM   #4

aladyforty

I've been meaning too do a comment to you, so here it goes.

I look at all the pics on this forum but this one caught both my wife and daughter's attention from across the room. We all vote it A+.

I like everything you post... You shouldn't be afraid too try anything.

What camera(s) are you using? While I'm at it I may as well ask if those are your kids in your other pics. They are very cute and your pictures of them (or is there just one that likes to pose) are very nice. Those pictures will be like solid gold to you twenty years from now. My kids always hated too have pictures taken.

Good Luck
dale
thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 10:37 PM   #5

Thanks Dale,

No the children are not mine, The little boys are my grandsons and the others are my brothers children. I have two boys, 24 and 16 but aside from the odd shot of the 16 year old either surfing or doing some other sports I don't get photos of them as they run off as soon as the camera comes out.:-)

My camera is a digital rebel, the first one. I have a 100-300 lens and just got a 28-105 as a walk about lens. I really enjoy digital photography, always loved taking photos before but now I love the fact that I have more control over my photos.

Im glad you liked the photo, it's nice to get favorable feedback.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 11:52 PM   #6

Very good picture. The exposure and the shot angle are right on, and DOF is nice. My personal preference would be to either crop the vignetting entirely out, which it doesn't look like you could do with this one, or to leave the whole circle in.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I have looked at a number of your photos in this and other forums here, and usually pass on commenting because there is little to criticize, and others' comments leave little to say but "I agree". You do excellent work.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"BTW, which lens did you use here?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 1:11 AM   #7

I am honestly not crazy about flowers, except for the smell of the sweet ones. I photograph them occasionally, b/c of the vibrant colors. I really like this picture because it has a pastel like feel. I would hang a picture like this in my office, for its calming effect. Great work!
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 1:32 AM   #8

nice shot. I don't think Rodney did anything to improve it so I wouldn't take too much from that.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 8:50 AM   #9

Thanks everyone for the comments.