Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:19 PM   #1

Went out today and wasable to follow a deer around and got as close as 25-30 and took the following pictures,among others.Any help would be great.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Taken on a 3040 Olympus with a telephoto lens and has been color corrected and cropped in CS.

Thanks

Charlie

Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:47 PM   #2

Very cool to be that close! You might try cropping a bit to get rid of the out of focus branches, unless you have done so already. I can post my attempt if you like, but it would probably look much better from the original file..

mactek
mactek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 3:41 PM   #3

You are right Mactek, it would look much better from the original if you cropped the branches, I tried , but I prefer it as it is.

Sriderxl, I actually like it as it is. Ithink that the branches frame the deer just right and they offer thefeeling of covertness, you sneaking up on your prey, biding your time, just waitingfor the right moment to go in for the kill, so to speak, to shoot that deer. With your camera of course. If Ihave any criticismit's just that, to me, it looks a little washed out. A quick levels adjustment and contrast boost and I think it will look a bit better.Hope you don't mind.

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 4:37 PM   #4

Thanks Steve and Mactek.I was trying to frame it that is why the branches are in the pic.I just didnt know if they should be in focus next time or not?Steve looks better with the corrections,thanks.
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 5:49 PM   #5

Glad you like it. Next time you get this opportunity, try to keep everything in focus and decide which you prefer. Obviously you can't get the deer to pose in the same place so you are never likely to know if you prefer the branches blurred or not, unless you take a shot of the same place, without the deer and add it later if you find you do.

As well as my preference for keeping the branches in, I also like it with the branches blurred. Again, it adds to the candidness of the shot and centers focus on the main subject.

Nice photo .

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote