Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:54 PM   #1

Comments appreciated!
Attached Images

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2005, 4:47 PM   #2

I'm probably not the best person to critique this shot, but I'll give it a try. First thing I noticed, and for me the strongest element, is the expressions on the runners' faces. Excellent capture.

The focus seems a little soft, and there appears to be some motion blur as well. It looks like the track in the foreground is in focus, and that you were waiting for the runners to get into the zone, but you didn't have quite enough DOF.

With good old 20/20 hindsight, I can say maybe you should have used a higher ISO setting ( I peeked at the EXIF) and smaller aperture. Maybe even slower shutter, as motion blur is not a bad in this kind of photo.

I still like the picture, though.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 5:27 PM   #3

Excellent capture of the competition. The essence of it shows through. I feel that in this picture it does not need to be tack sharp. In fact, I sit away aboutsix feet from my monitor to see how it looks. I can see the snow flakes and the colors are true to what it would be if I were there. That is what has impressed me.

Nice composition as well.

Either side of being more sharp or motion blur would be good but this one is very good.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 10:22 PM   #4

Thanks for your comments VTphotog and vIZnquest!

VTphotog, your right, I shot the photo at ISO100, which is a little low given the overcast snowing conditions.

I kept the ISO low so that I would get a little less depth of field and slightly blur the background, which unfortunately also served to soften up the subject a little.

I usually prefocus my shots and then shoot when the runners arrive at the prefocus point.

As for blur, I try to minimize it, as I'm shooting for a local newspaper. I set the shutter speed to 1/250th which is the fastest flash syncrho I can get with my Canon 20D. I use an external flash with a Stofen diffuser to add about one stop of light.

I appreciate your comments! -- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote