Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 20, 2005, 7:28 AM   #1

I went out to shoot this one in the early morning sun today. Comments welcome.

Enjoy!
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2005, 9:05 AM   #2

I like this one...
I do find my eye pulling to the out-of-focus bud on the left, though. Probably because it has a lot of white in it like the flower...

mactek
mactek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 10:45 AM   #3

This one is beautiful and my favorite that you posted so far.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 11:47 AM   #4

Beautiful colours & I love the mellow light. (Love the way it looks so natural too.)

Canna
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 1:54 PM   #5

If there is any way for this shot to be better, I can't find it. Beautiful capture! Love the detail in the petals, and the DOF is not too shallow or deep. Great!

brian

After taking another look, think the light is just a tad too yellow (for my taste), probably due to the low angle of the sun. Combined with the b/g and frame, it seems just a bit off. (No, my monitor is not calibrated, but the eyedropper tool tells the same story, and it doesn't care if the monitor is calibrated) I was curious as to how it would look with more neutral WB. While playing, I tried a sand spot filter, set to slightly gray the b/g.

Not necessarily better, just a bit different.

brian
Attached Images

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 10:20 PM   #6

I hate being a tag-a-long but this is a nice shot. This is one of those flowers that gainbeauty by including the surounding field. Eventhough the DOF is shallow, it highlights the primary subject within the needed field.

Great Picture!
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 3:51 AM   #7

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
If there is any way for this shot to be better, I can't find it. Beautiful capture! Love the detail in the petals, and the DOF is not too shallow or deep. Great!

brian

After taking another look, think the light is just a tad too yellow (for my taste), probably due to the low angle of the sun. Combined with the b/g and frame, it seems just a bit off. (No, my monitor is not calibrated, but the eyedropper tool tells the same story, and it doesn't care if the monitor is calibrated) I was curious as to how it would look with more neutral WB. While playing, I tried a sand spot filter, set to slightly gray the b/g.

Not necessarily better, just a bit different.
brian
I'm not fond of your edited version in part because my intent is also to capture the nice warmth of the morning sun here and give it a presence in the scene.

Although, I'm usually aware of what my images look like under different WB situations, I appreciate you've taken time to offer the alternative so others can see. I'm a bit too lazy to do that. :-)

Rodney
Old Apr 26, 2005, 3:58 AM   #8

Hi,

If you dont mind me saying, I actually prefer the edited version. Somehow I think the edit and the border are more comfortable on the eye.Nice photograph.
vindolanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 5:09 AM   #9

I prefer the edited version also. Seems to have more life to it. The original just seems too dull, and my eyes are distracted from the main subject. The edited version draws your attention to the flower, which I imagine was the intention of the photo? WC.
Westcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 5:31 AM   #10

Westcoaster wrote:
Quote:
I prefer the edited version also. Seems to have more life to it. The original just seems too dull, and my eyes are distracted from the main subject. The edited version draws your attention to the flower, which I imagine was the intention of the photo? WC.
The technical flaw in this image is that all of the blossom is not in focus because of the shallow DOF. Unfortunately, our usual March winds arrived a little late this year. Shooting anything outdoors was a bit of a challenge.

The intent of this photo was to capture the morning sun on a peach blossom. I think I made that quite clear in a previous message. The edited version has no morning sun present.

It really doesn't matter which version any of us prefer. The original is color accurate.

Rodney