Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 20, 2005, 5:13 PM   #1

I found this picture on the internet and I love how the cat has the orange red glow. I would like to know how this was achieved. Was theglow taken with the pictureor added afterwards. Thanks!! It is cat number 21. Connie

http://public.fotki.com/splint/family-affairs/cats/
ConnieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2005, 5:23 PM   #2

the glow is the product of strong light, hitting a wood surface...or orange or red surface..

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 5:30 PM   #3

Wow... I love it... but I think it may be abit above my Photography level. I am a very inexperienced photographer ( If I can even call myself that) We have a very basic homemade studio with halogen lights and umbrellas and that is about it. In more simple terms....is there some way I might be able to get a similiar look.... I centainly appreciate your imput.. Thanks for your time.... Connie
Old Apr 20, 2005, 11:58 PM   #4

Looking at the EXIF for the photo gives a clue to what is going on. The shutter is listed at one ful second. so I would guess that the light is from a tungsten lamp or fluorescent with similar color temp.

This type of shot can be gotten with very basic lighting, using the tungsten a bit off to the side, and a touch of daylight from a window as fill. Camera white balance should be set for daylight, and exposure spot metered on middle of the ighting range. As with all advice, YMMV. Use this only as a staring place.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 7:10 AM   #5

Thank you Brian. With all of this information I am slowing learning. Appreciate your take on this. Connie