Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 20, 2005, 9:49 PM   #1
Administrator

I looked out of a window just before dark and saw someAzaleabuds. So, I grabbed a camera...

I'll look forward to seeing them bloom. I wasn't quite sure what to do with this one (it's a crop from a version with alittle larger angle of view, with a little tweaking and some soft focus added in PP, downsized to 640x480 for web viewing).

Beginnings
Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2005, 12:21 AM   #2

Hi Jim,

I like the composition here and often prefer flowers with a bit of a softer look. I think you softened it too much giving it more of an OOF look.

The colors are also nice.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 1:32 AM   #3
Administrator

You're probably right.

Thisis actually a group of 3 buds sproutingout of the end of a stem. I couldn't seem to get the best cameraanglefor it (I was trying to keep plenty of green in the background, but I couldn't quite get what I needed in the left side of the frame (despite trying every camera angle I could).

It was getting late out when I took it. I just happend to glance out ofa window and noticed them there, so I grabbed a camera and walked outside.

It was taken hand held at 1/7 second shutter speed using an old 2 Megapixel Nikon Coolpix 950, at a 19mm actual focal length (35mm equivalent focal length of a approximately100mm) in macro mode. Thisis well past the lens' "sweet spot", which is at around mid-zoom.

I didn't want to bump up the ISO speed, so I kept it set to 80, forcing a wider aperture and slower shutter speed. If it weren't for BSS (Best Shot Selector),it would not have been this sharp given the lighting for a hand held shot at this focal length and shutter speed. So, the original is a tad soft, too. ;-)

Here is the original (no cropping or modifications of any kind -- downsized only).

Attached Images

Old Apr 21, 2005, 1:41 AM   #4

Since you are after a softer look, how about something like this edit?

Rodney
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 1:56 AM   #5
Administrator

Rodney, to my eyes, the area at the base of the flower is a bit too harsh. But, I don't like that area in the origiinal, either (which was why I was trying to soften it some).

The buds were rather ugly to my eyes. :-) Here is what they looked like from another angle (with a quarter for comparison so you can see their actual size):

Attached Images

Old Apr 21, 2005, 2:03 AM   #6
Administrator

Here is another cropof the samephoto(leavingmore of the stem in the image, yet still using some soft focus in PP):

Attached Images

Old Apr 21, 2005, 2:08 AM   #7

This is a might too soft for me but given the parameters you were working with I'm surprised you got a shot at all. I like the crop in the last post and the colors are to die for. Would love to see more of this flower.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 2:17 AM   #8
Administrator

Thanks Suzan and Rodney...

It sounds like sharper may be the way to go here then.

I'll try to take some more earlier in the daywhen I can get a shutter speed faster than 1/7 second at lower ISO speeds (or when I can figure out where I put a smalltable toptripod that I haven't seen since we moved to Savannah last year). :-)