Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 22, 2005, 4:22 PM   #1

And all of a sudden it's (almost) all flowers on the forum. I've been responsible for some in the past, so I figured I could add one to the flow of blossom. No interesting background, just a bunch of blossom standing out in front of a straight, clear blue sky. And the only the branch for some structure.
cropped, bit sharpenend, some levels.

Maarten
Attached Images

Maarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2005, 5:41 PM   #2

The blossoms are beautiful, but there is too much sky and the dark shadowed branch is more of a distraction than a supporting element.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 8:14 PM   #3

Rodney, in the interests of my learning and hopefully helping Maarten, is this what you had in mind ?

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 8:20 PM   #4

Stevekin wrote:
Quote:
Rodney, in the interests of my learning and hopefully helping Maarten, is this what you had in mind ?
Yes, the edit is much better. I think there is still too much sky to the left though.

Rodney
Old Apr 22, 2005, 8:41 PM   #5

Perhaps.

I had taken away half of the sky to the left, but tried to leave enough of thebranch to support Maarten's intention. I think maybe down to the next uppermost 'knuckle' on the branch then. Or do you think it better to give it more of atighter crop all round ?
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 1:58 AM   #6

RodneyBlair wrote:
Quote:
The blossoms are beautiful, but there is too much sky and the dark shadowed branch is more of a distraction than a supporting element.

Rodney
Rodney, I read your observations always with great interest
I go with your suggestion of the shadowed branch and perhaps you're right about a tighter crop. Would a much tighter crop not end in just a snapshot-picture of blossom?

While shooting I was taken by the solitary bunch of blossom where most of them are really packed too tight and close together for a decent shot. (Other side of course is that the tree is a delight to look at at the moment) The branch was, as Stevekin suggests, indeed meant as leading to the flowers.
Clear blue skies are not that common here and I thought that the constrast of the delicate pink and blue sky would work.

Maarten
Maarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 2:34 AM   #7

Maarten wrote:
Quote:
RodneyBlair wrote:
Quote:

Rodney
Rodney, I read your observations always with great interest
I go with your suggestion of the shadowed branch and perhaps you're right about a tighter crop. Would a much tighter crop not end in just a snapshot-picture of blossom?

While shooting I was taken by the solitary bunch of blossom where most of them are really packed too tight and close together for a decent shot. (Other side of course is that the tree is a delight to look at at the moment) The branch was, as Stevekin suggests, indeed meant as leading to the flowers.
Clear blue skies are not that common here and I thought that the constrast of the delicate pink and blue sky would work.
Maarten
Maarten,

I hear what you are saying. I've been faced with the same challenge too. It is much easier to zoom in close and not have other elements to worry with. I applaud you for avoiding the easy solution.

The problem here, at least for me, is that you have a solid blue sky as the background and a single dark branch drawing the viewer's attention out of the frame without anything to lead back to the subject. The background(sky) lacks anything interesting. Eleminating about half the extra frame may keep the edges of the picture close enough that the viewer doesn't wander too far away. A slight different angle when shooting may have improved it too. If you had moved around slightly more toward the left side of the blossoms, the branch would have been less focused.

I'm not comparing my work to yours...the execution here is great, but if you will look at my first Cherry Blossom thread, you may better follow what I am trying to convey. I isolated 1 blossom on the extended branch, but kept enough in the background to provide an interesting texture. At least I think that is what I did. I'm quite new at this too so keep that in mind when listening to me ramble on. :-)

I look forward to seeing future attempts. Thank you for sharing.

Rodney