Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 23, 2005, 9:27 PM   #1

hey guys...

here's a shot i took of a couple of birch trees at a park by my house..

enjoy

Vito
Attached Images

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2005, 3:19 AM   #2

Nice border and I like how you put your name at the bottom. :-) Seriously, this does nothing for me.

Diffused non directional lighting works well for shooting people, but doesn't work well here.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 8:12 PM   #3
ELC

Even though there are some critics in the house I'll be the first to say that this pic. was taken by a unique photographer....the use of lighting is very well depicted along with the details of the bark on the tree....looks to me this pic. is really showing its true colors to its critics who happen to be, should I say sippin on hatorade? :-)

GreatcaptureVITO!!
ELC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 8:34 PM   #4

I thought we were supposed to comment on the photos, not the other comments...

Anyway, I like the idea here, but something is not quite right to me. I have been looking at this for a while now, trying to put a finger on it. I think it may have to do with this being a horizontal shot. Perhaps a vertical shot would look better. Trees, unless fallen, tend to be vertical. There's something about the DOF as well. It might look better with more DOF so all trunks are in focus, or perhaps less, so only the front ones are in focus and the rear ones are less in focus...or maybe there are just too many trunks. The way it is now, the front ones are in focus and the rear ones just look soft.

mactek
mactek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 8:40 PM   #5

Very nice textures, and good detail. The trees in the front are nicely isolated by use of shallow DOF, and the colors are very subtle. I enjoy seeing pics that aren't oversharpened with too much contrast and saturation.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 8:48 PM   #6

thanks for looking guys..

the problem with the shot, is the background...

i'm gonna try my other lens...and see if i can get the bg trees oof more..

i don't think it's possible to get all the trees sharp while keeping the background soft though...

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 9:35 PM   #7

Pierre wrote:
Quote:
Enjoy

sorry but is there something to enjoy here???

With all the critics you makes on everybody , this is what you do ????

pathetic

p.s sorry but I have to say it
Whoa! Why the need to flame on Vito? There is no need for that. Have we not read the rules to this section of the forum?

Quote:
1. Be Nice
No matter how bad you think something posted actually is, do not flame or deride the author. Many here are interested in improving their style and mechanics, and are far from perfect. If you encounter a post for which you can offer constructive advice, do critique.
Quote:
3. Be Constructive
Critiques should always be constructive, i.e., giving your ideas at how you think things could be improved. If you cannot give a constructive critique, please refrain from posting negative comments. If you like an image, say so & say why you liked it.
Quote:
5. Be Respectful
You may find the occasional "something bothers me about the mouth" (or similar) notice in a post. If you encounter it, please respect it and focus your critique on that particular part of the image.
Pierre - You didn't give a reason as to why you didn't like the photo. Or maybe give some ideas as to what Vito could maybe do different.

I know how Vito posts. If he likes the pic, he'll tell you and tell you why. If he thinks you could do something different, he'll make some suggestions.

Let's all try to be civil and quit wasting Steve's bandwidth on posts that flame each other.

RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 9:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Pierre - You didn't give a reason as to why you didn't like the photo. Or maybe give some ideas as to what Vito could maybe do different.

Because anybody can do that kind of picture , even my old grandma with is automatic camera

First :the tree in the middle is even not focus

Second: the lightning is bad

Third: With all the critics and comments he made to everybody , he should do some real nice picture , oeuvre d art , he should be pro , but its not the case

Four: You cant do something dont ask other do to it

Five: thats all

six: Thanks
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 3:50 AM   #9

Hi Vito,

I can only offer my opinion to your shot, but not for overall photographic technique, which I feel unqualified to give.

Often when I see you have posted I will quickly open the thread as I think you take very imaginative phonographs of sometimes very ordinary subject matter and somehow bring it to life. In this case I feel you have bitten off a little too much and it has not quite worked. My first impression is not of high interest and on second and more viewings that opinion is unchanged - sorry.

No matter, no-one can get it right every time.Keep up the good work and keep posting with your usual high standards and keen eye.

Regards

Ian

vindolanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 10:49 PM   #10

I don't think the lens has anything to do with this picture at all.

It has to do with the person who took the shot and what they are trying to convey here in what it is that impressed them to display the shot they took of it.

Tree trunks as a subject is not especially exciting and captivating IMHO. The fact that you have so many of them makes this busy and it seems that there is no real center of interest here. The DOF is lacking which may be why you mention using a different lens but I again don't think that is the problem with this picture having a captivating look to it.

Mahalo,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote