Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 27, 2005, 8:46 AM   #1

I can see the potential here at this spot but what I'm having problems with isangles. Ignore the fact that the focus is bad and all the other junk this was a shot to help me think. Just to look at. Composing something around those fountains is hard. If you zoom in you lose the background that adds to the ambiance but if you zoom out something looks wrong in scale with those fountains. What am I not seeing?

Please feel free to discuss.

Plain Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2005, 1:59 PM   #2

How 'bout night time-long exposure? Is it possible at this location? If possible but no light source, bring your own (flashlight etc.)Change perspective...maybe low, by placing the camera on that ledge around the fountain for a different perspective. I don't know, just wanted to throwsome ideas out there. If you decide on something, or figure it out,please post for us.

Dave...
DaveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 4:46 PM   #3

If you're not going to have the whole pool part of the fountain in the picture I would go with a low upward angle and shallow depth of field.

Or you could go with a perpendicular shot (T the statue and fountains to the LoS of the camera) again with a shallow depth of field to blur the back ground.

Or you could do a high downward angle and have the pool frame what's in the fountain.
Proxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 9:35 PM   #4

Jane;

I think, in this case, the statue and two fountains are too many objects to focus on, and the photo could be improved by a different crop, and possibly less contrast. Not being on the scene, it is really hard to say how other angles would work. Maybe I don't have much imagination.

As starting point for a different way to look at this shot, I offer the following:

brian
Attached Images

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 9:00 AM   #5

Hmm... I took one sort of like that as well and tossed it out. But thank you for the suggestion. It's not quite what I was thinking. I was thinking museum for some reason. This is in the rose garden so it's filled with roseson both sides of themain house. It's like a cross between neoclassical sculpture and anenglish cottage. The fountains just ruin it for me.

I'm sure there is a way I'm just going to have to go back when I have plenty of time to fiddle. I liked the contrast though. It gave it a more classical feel but that's just me I like contrasty kind of pictures.
Plain Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 1:49 PM   #6

Play with your aperture and shutter speed a bit. you may like the water if it's softened by slowing down the shutter speed. (assuming this place is somewhere nearby) And might get some interesting results by changing aperture to select a sharper focus on the statue. If you can, try a contrast bump on the camera controls. Lots of potential here. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote