Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 27, 2005, 10:22 AM   #1

I think this is a pretty reasonable image so Im thinking of entering itin a wildlife photo competition later in the year.

It has no frame as it will go into a card frame for the competition. Im told that the little red flower in the background should be cloned out but thats the only advice Ive been given, perhaps a little more saturation:idea:This is pretty true to what the scene looked like.

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2005, 10:44 AM   #2

It looks pretty good to me. I'd not clone out the little red flower. I'd do something like this...
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 11:07 AM   #3

HMMMMM maybe, but I actually like the way the background circles the bird, it kind of draws your eye to him. Also one of the rules of this competition to to supply the original image as well, I want to do as little as possible to this image to show how I shot it. Im sure these judges are going to be picky. I think small amounts of cloning should not stress them too much:roll:They are only just starting to get into digital, some are of the old school of thought.
:-)
All I have done to this photo is sharpened the bird only, neat image and cropped.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 11:40 AM   #4

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
HMMMMM maybe, but I actually like the way the background circles the bird, it kind of draws your eye to him. Also one of the rules of this competition to to supply the original image as well, I want to do as little as possible to this image to show how I shot it. Im sure these judges are going to be picky. I think small amounts of cloning should not stress them too much:roll:They are only just starting to get into digital, some are of the old school of thought.
:-)
All I have done to this photo is sharpened the bird only, neat image and cropped.
There are no elements in the photo that draw the viewer in to the bird. The bird is sharp. Other sharp elements compete with the bird.

Do you think what I've done to your image is not possible in the darkroom for film photographers? Keep in mind, many of the features in photo editing software was first used in the traditional darkroom.

Rodney
Old Apr 27, 2005, 1:10 PM   #5

The little red flower does attract a bit of attention, and if you don't remove it, tone it down a little, by softening the focus on it. This way it will be less distracting, and yet still be included and perhaps compare more favorably w/the original. Beautiful color contrast and detail. I like the the pic pretty much the way you present it otherwise, and would not soften the focus in the foreground. It looks good. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 5:57 PM   #6

RodneyBlair wrote:
Quote:
Do you think what I've done to your image is not possible in the darkroom for film photographers? Keep in mind, many of the features in photo editing software was first used in the traditional darkroom.

Rodney

I know this, it's the judges that don't seem to remember this:roll:I asked about why the digital photographer had to be prepared to supply the original copy.

reply was "well we want to stop people using other peoples work, that is someone could steal a digital photo online and print it out. Also it makes it more fair in the contest because we can see who is just more clever on the computer"

Mypoint that a film photo could be scanned or stolen online and used seemed to fall on deaf ears.

and as for making the competition more fair, well some film photographers don't have as good a skill in the darkroom as others. I think they just grudgingly accept that digital is here now but they don't like it.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 5:58 PM   #7

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
The little red flower does attract a bit of attention, and if you don't remove it, tone it down a little, by softening the focus on it. This way it will be less distracting, and yet still be included and perhaps compare more favorably w/the original. Beautiful color contrast and detail. I like the the pic pretty much the way you present it otherwise, and would not soften the focus in the foreground. It looks good. Best regards,

KennethD

Thanks kenneth:-)
Old Apr 27, 2005, 5:59 PM   #8

I would have to agree with Rodney.On his editI found my eye resting on the bird vs. moving toward the other branch.
choeschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 6:18 PM   #9

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
RodneyBlair wrote:
Quote:

Rodney

I know this, it's the judges that don't seem to remember this:roll: I asked about why the digital photographer had to be prepared to supply the original copy.

reply was "well we want to stop people using other peoples work, that is someone could steal a digital photo online and print it out. Also it makes it more fair in the contest because we can see who is just more clever on the computer"

My point that a film photo could be scanned or stolen online and used seemed to fall on deaf ears.

and as for making the competition more fair, well some film photographers don't have as good a skill in the darkroom as others. I think they just grudgingly accept that digital is here now but they don't like it.
It doesn't seem fair that the film photographer can use all his darkroom tricks to enhance his photo, but the digital photographer is limited to his image as taken.

I suggest that you enhance your photo to the max, then print it out and take a picture of the print to use as your original. :-)

Rodney
Old Apr 27, 2005, 8:53 PM   #10

Rodney did you blur the whole background or just over the bush in the background?