Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 28, 2005, 9:11 AM   #11

Ok...the comments will be two cents richer after my contribution. Julie, looking at the crop, and the leaves etc, I am wondering if the charcater of the shot isn't being slowly compromised by too much editing. I know the leaves are somewhat distracting, but when you remove them, it makes this little guy look like he's doing a balancing act on his one spindleyskinney little leg...the left side of the pic. With the leaves there, it kind of adds a little more screening for his leg and adds to the appeal I think. I'd think twice about isolating him. The only thing about the empty space in the left side if the pic, is that dark smudge, which is obviosly something dark out of focus. The clone tool will ease that, but if you crop the left side I think it takes the more attractive ratio away. Width to hieght. Ha..ha...!!! Sorry if you are now in a pondering conundrum. It's a beauty of a pic. And of course you want to present it in it's most flattering form. Good luck...best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 9:24 AM   #12

I cant make up my mind now:roll::?:O:shock::?
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:25 AM   #13

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
I know Im not meant to do this but what do you think of my edit,

I think the rules say it's fine to post an edit of the original to show what is meant, and that's all you have done. It's the same photo with changes.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:23 AM   #14

In my first post, I wasn't really thinking of the leaves to the left, and after seeing the edits, I think I agree with Kenneth that the balance is better with them in.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Steve, I think the rules we are discussing are the contest rules, if I'm not mistaken. Our lady is attempting to satisfy some stodgy judges who appear to think digital photography si somhow, in itself, cheating, or maybe just makes it too easy to cheat.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:35 PM   #15

Fabulous photo, aladyforty...truly fabulous.

Even without any edits!
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:15 PM   #16

I think as is the shot works VERY well. Nice shot! I think the only edit I'd entertain would be a tighter crop. Only a little off the left, like maybe where that yellow leaf attaches to the stem, from there left crop off, and see how it looks. I think the cloning of the leaves is unnecessary since you have a nice view of the subject anyway. Just my $.02... Good luck in the contest!!!

Dave...
DaveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:09 PM   #17

Hi Julie,

Congrats. Fantastic pic!

My 2pworth....I love the original. I think it looks amazing, butit also looks camera generated andphotographic (& I think the wayward leaves help this), & I like the space in front of the bird.

Canna.

Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 4:02 AM   #18

That's a great picture. It made me hungry... not that I eat birds but it reminds me of green apples. :-)
...ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 8:23 AM   #19

thanks for the replies, I have plenty of time to make my mind up on this one:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 8:54 AM   #20

I personally like the 1st pic.I think that people go by the book way too much.So what if there is something in the way of the bird,it gives it some balance.I tend to be a nonconformist but since I have been posting here I have been trying the same things as everyone else and have been trying to make the perfect pic by the book.Well I say you take great pics aladyforty and keep up the good work. :-):-)

Charlie
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote