Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 29, 2005, 11:18 PM   #11

Sure Rodney,

Because it's big and brown and draws my eye. I tend to only like frames in real life because they have a purpose there. Then, this is only my opinion, some may like frames online.

Chris,
Old Apr 29, 2005, 11:22 PM   #12

Chris Kayler wrote:
Quote:
Sure Rodney,

Because it's big and brown and draws my eye. I tend to only like frames in real life because they have a purpose there. Then, this is only my opinion, some may like frames online.

Chris,
I'm only concerned with what is or isn't visually effective. Our eyes are attracted to contrast and since there is little to no contrast between the mat and image, there is no visual distraction.

Rodney

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 11:44 PM   #13

Thanks for the lesson on eyes, however, more comes into play than just contrast. While the colors chosen for the frame do fit the scene well, the frame is still large and it does attract attention, making it visually uneffective :roll:
Old Apr 30, 2005, 12:03 AM   #14

Chris Kayler wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the lesson on eyes, however, more comes into play than just contrast. While the colors chosen for the frame do fit the scene well, the frame is still large and it does attract attention, making it visually uneffective :roll:
I do wish you'd get it right...It's a mat, not a frame. I often creat these for online display because it helps me decide appropriate colors when I mat and frame a print.

The mat and borders around the image effectively provide a buffer between the background of this site and the image as it will hanging on a wall.

You obviously do not have trained eyes so this exchange is pointless.

Rodney
Old Apr 30, 2005, 12:26 AM   #15

Mat or Frame, I assume your intelligent enough to know what I'm speaking of? The fact you make them for yourself online doesn't change the fact that the picture would be better without it in my (untrained :-)) eyes. Anyways, the last time I checked, photography was an art form, and getting a degree (training your eyes :roll only really helps with the technical side of things. And afterall you are "only concerned with what is or isn't visually effective" right? Sounds more artistic than technical to me.

Feel free to view my website too - www.chriskaylerphotography.com
Old Apr 30, 2005, 12:33 AM   #16

Chris Kayler wrote:
Quote:
Mat or Frame, I assume your intelligent enough to know what I'm speaking of? The fact you make them for yourself online doesn't change the fact that the picture would be better without it in my (untrained :-)) eyes. Anyways, the last time I checked, photography was an art form, and getting a degree (training your eyes :roll only really helps with the technical side of things. And afterall you are "only concerned with what is or isn't visually effective" right? Sounds more artistic than technical to me.

Feel free to view my website too - www.chriskaylerphotography.com
I visited your site earlier and noticed you have distracting white borders around all of your images.

Thanks for the comments. I do not intend to argue with you. I'll do my thing and you can do yours.

Rodney
Old Apr 30, 2005, 12:40 AM   #17

Thanks for the visit.

If we're going to be technical as in mat vs frame, what I have is actually a 2 pixel stroke around my images. I hardly think it's distracting - as there is nothing to look at! :lol:

Keep doing your own thing though, I was merely trying to help you to improve your photography. This is a critique forum isn't it?
Old Apr 30, 2005, 12:58 AM   #18

Chris Kayler wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the visit.

If we're going to be technical as in mat vs frame, what I have is actually a 2 pixel stroke around my images. I hardly think it's distracting - as there is nothing to look at! :lol:

Keep doing your own thing though, I was merely trying to help you to improve your photography. This is a critique forum isn't it?
Yes it is a critique forum, but you've failed to explain what makes the mat a visually distracting element. Instead, you state why you do not think it is appropriate for Internet display.

Honestly, I do not care for mats and frames on the internet either...It requires a lot of extra time and I'd prefer to use my simpler drop shadow that I use on my site.

Rodney
Old Apr 30, 2005, 1:17 AM   #19

This is overall, a very well composed image, and the colors and light give an impression of serenity and a little mystery. I do think I see why some of us find the rocks on the left distracting, though. As you have said, the eye is drawn to cntrast, and after the water/rocks, there is considerable contrast between the overhanging rocks, and the shadows beneath. This does draw the eye. There is also a bit of harshness in the details, which may be what Jane finds unpleasant. It looked at first like sharpening artifacts, but a closer view makes me think it is from downsizing your pictures without resampling, or using a resampling algorithm that is creating jaggies. If this is the case, perhaps you could try using bicubic resampling, which softens the edges just a bit.

Again, I like the picture, but the presentation could be improved.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Apr 30, 2005, 1:17 AM   #20

"Because it's big and brown and draws my eye"

That was my explanation in my initial post when you asked me what made it distracting to me. That explaims it clearly enough doesn't it?

Obviously a drop shadow wouldn't work here with the black BG, but if you really don't like doing the frames, why not try an off-white - try #CCCCC - stroke. Goes well with almost any color and offsets the picture from the black BG.. you might like it.