Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 30, 2005, 1:26 AM   #21

Chris Kayler wrote:
Quote:
"Because it's big and brown and draws my eye"

That was my explanation in my initial post when you asked me what made it distracting to me. That explaims it clearly enough doesn't it?

Obviously a drop shadow wouldn't work here with the black BG, but if you really don't like doing the frames, why not try an off-white - try #CCCCC - stroke. Goes well with almost any color and offsets the picture from the black BG.. you might like it.
One more time...I practice the mats online because it helps me select the best colors when I frame prints for clients.
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 1:38 AM   #22

Ok, fair enough.

However, I was under the impression that you were a portrait photographer, and while some of your nature photos are nice I assume you don't sell ton's of nature photographs, and certainly not all that are posted on here.. which makes me think it would be easier to just do the colored mat's offline.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 2:13 AM   #23

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Rodney
Old Apr 30, 2005, 5:03 AM   #24

Being new to these forums, my opinion may not count for much but I wanted to get a sense of what other people think of this observation I have made.

I can't comment on this particular photo, because it doesn't appear (Rodney, did you edit it out?)

Hoever, I have noticed one thing consistently in going through this forum and that is that Rodney is quick to offer criticism of other's photos (which I understand is the point), but he offers such with the air of a professional being condescending to an amateur.

On the other hand, his obvious talent for both photography and post processing leads me to wonder why he bothers to post his own photos here for critique? Whenever he receives comments and criticism, he dismisses them as amateurish observation. (And I'm not referring to his use of mats... for the most part I think his mats do enhance his photography).

Am I off-base with my observations? I am somewhat reluctant to post my own photos for fear of sharper criticism than may be warranted, or being harshly reminded that I am an amateur photgrapher (a fact that I am already aware of).
StevenBVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 9:19 AM   #25

StevenBVT wrote:
Quote:
Being new to these forums, my opinion may not count for much but I wanted to get a sense of what other people think of this observation I have made.

I can't comment on this particular photo, because it doesn't appear (Rodney, did you edit it out?)

Hoever, I have noticed one thing consistently in going through this forum and that is that Rodney is quick to offer criticism of other's photos (which I understand is the point), but he offers such with the air of a professional being condescending to an amateur.

On the other hand, his obvious talent for both photography and post processing leads me to wonder why he bothers to post his own photos here for critique? Whenever he receives comments and criticism, he dismisses them as amateurish observation. (And I'm not referring to his use of mats... for the most part I think his mats do enhance his photography).

Am I off-base with my observations? I am somewhat reluctant to post my own photos for fear of sharper criticism than may be warranted, or being harshly reminded that I am an amateur photgrapher (a fact that I am already aware of).
Steven,

Yes, I removed the image because this thread was too much about how I presented the image rather than the image itself after the moderator chastised us for such an exchange.

This site have over a dozen forums for participants to share their images to receive the praise they seek. If other's do not like the image they simply do not respond. It works well and rarely is it a problem.

So there is no misunderstanding about any technical flaws or visual distractions that I may see in an image, I choose not to sugarcoat my message so the artist I offer critique to will fully understand. The artist will often hear what they want when imbedding lots of praise in a message.

When I offer an image for critique, I expect the same critical delivery that I offer. If a person finds a distraction or bad technique then I expect them to say so, explain why or how and offer possible solutions. It may seem that I did not agree with Chris about the framing of my image here, but that isn't so. Though I do not feel the mat I used is a distraction, I do not rule out that it can be. I simply wanted a more educated type of response from him because I'm learning too. Instead, I received, "because it is big and brown...". Such a response does not help me see what he does nor does it help others who may be following this thread. Overall, I'm quite flattered that I received a critique from him. You can look at his web site and see that he is quite talented.

The beginning of this spring season is the first time in my life that I've attempted any type of nature photography. Those who were here to see the first flower image will have to agree that my skills developed quickly and I have lots of room for improvement. My skills were improving because I've received the same type of critiques on other forums that I deliver here. I did not receive one suggestion on this forum that was helpful because the overall attitude is that anything negative is rude or condescending.

I participate on this forum because I was asked to participate here. I am quite busy as many other's are, but I do take the time to offer detailed responses to most of the posts here. Only recently, I began to be more selective until I feel confident the artist submitting his image really wants an honest review.

I apologize to participants who did not seek an honest critical review of their work.

Best regards,
Rodney Blair
Old Apr 30, 2005, 9:28 AM   #26

StevenBVT wrote:
Quote:

Steve I have gotten the same feeling.I didnt want to bring this up so I keptit to myselfuntil now.I am wondering how many people here are Professional Photogs?And if they are pros why do they feel the need to post photos on here?I understand if you take great pics then you would like some nice things said about them,but isnt that what the other forums are for?I like posting here and getting constructive criticism but some times some of the critiques I read (on mine and mostly on others) seems to be given with a superior attitude.This post is oneof them.Rodney you attacked Chrisand insulted himfor his opinion,which iswhat you get in this forum.You said he was untrained and pretty much blew off his critiques as amateurish and not to be considered.If you dont like the criticism then why bother to post?Now I dont know if your a professional or not,but you sure do come off as snobby.

Sorry,I know I am new here but this hasbeen onmymindfor a while.

So how many of you sell photos?And what type do you sell?

Charlie
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 9:39 AM   #27

Dash, I missed the photo which is all I came to see.

I for one don't care how my images look IFI like them myself, However Im happy to get criticism even if if seems harshbut I can learn from it. If I was too thin skinned I'd never post a photo in this forum and I would also never learn anything new. There is a difference to someone critiquing a photo and someone just bagging a shot. If you are offered a reasonable explanation and some tips as to the improvement of the photo thats fine with me.

I would have like to have seen the image that started the thread:-)

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 9:42 AM   #28

Striderxl wrote:
Quote:
StevenBVT wrote:
Quote:

Steve I have gotten the same feeling.I didnt want to bring this up so I kept it to myself until now.I am wondering how many people here are Professional Photogs?And if they are pros why do they feel the need to post photos on here?I understand if you take great pics then you would like some nice things said about them,but isnt that what the other forums are for?I like posting here and getting constructive criticism but some times some of the critiques I read (on mine and mostly on others) seems to be given with a superior attitude.This post is oneof them.Rodney you attacked Chrisand insulted himfor his opinion,which iswhat you get in this forum.You said he was untrained and pretty much blew off his critiques as amateurish and not to be considered.If you dont like the criticism then why bother to post?Now I dont know if your a professional or not,but you sure do come off as snobby.

Sorry,I know I am new here but this hasbeen onmymindfor a while.

So how many of you sell photos?And what type do you sell?
Charlie
You are mistaken...I didn't say that Chris is untrained. I said he has an untrained eye and he is at a level that he understood what I mean and responded accordingly and we shared a respectful private exchange.

Have a great day!

Rodney
Old Apr 30, 2005, 9:45 AM   #29

I, for one, Rodney, don't think you could say it any fairer than you did. With one caveat. Please try to accept that some people just might not like 'big and brown' or whatever else they don't like. Maybe for no specific reason. They just don't. Not everything has to analyzed or justified.

I think a lot of members feel intimidated by your critiques and although at times it may seem to the contrary, they don't realize it is not a personal attack. It isn't, is it ? :-). And by the same token, if someone doesn't like 'big and brown', it's not an attack on yourself.

Keep it up, because you talk a damn good more sense than not.

Regards,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 9:50 AM   #30

Stevekin wrote:
Quote:
I, for one, Rodney, don't think you could say it any fairer than you did. With one caveat. Please try to accept that some people just might not like 'big and brown' or whatever else they don't like. Maybe for no specific reason. They just don't. Not everything has to analyzed or justified.

I think a lot of members feel intimidated by your critiques and although at times it may seem to the contrary, they don't realize it is not a personal attack. It isn't, is it ? :-) . And by the same token, if someone doesn't like 'big and brown', it's not an attack on yourself.

Keep it up, because you talk a darn good more sense than not.

Regards,

Stevekin.
Stevekin,

I was pushing Chris to elaborate becuase I had seen some of his work and he is quite talented. I felt if he could detail why, I'd learn as well as others. Simply put, I wanted to see through the artist's eyes.

I am very giving of my time and never hesitate to share anything I know. I have my own style of doing things and if the participants here do not appreciate it, I understand and do not have a problem. I receive many messages of gratitude every day from people who never post on the forums.

I participate on other forums and the people here are the most sensitive I've encountered.

Rodney