Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 30, 2005, 10:50 AM   #31

RodneyBlair wrote:
Quote:
You are mistaken...I didn't say that Chris is untrained. I said he has an untrained eye and he is at a level that he understood what I mean and responded accordingly and we shared a respectful private exchange.

Have a great day!

Rodney

Rodney if I took this the wrong way then I am sorry.It seemed that you to were going at it and that post about the untrained eye seemed not nice.As I said I am new to this and took the way some people citiqued as they had a superior attitude.If I am wrong then I am sorry but you just didnt seem to be able to take a critique where you gave some good ones.

I will continue to post pics and hope that everyone will continue to give me ideas and help on how to take better pictures.

Charlie
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 10:51 AM   #32

Striderxl wrote:
Quote:
StevenBVT wrote: Steve I have gotten the same feeling.I didnt want to bring this up so I keptit to myselfuntil now.I am wondering how many people here are Professional Photogs?And if they are pros why do they feel the need to post photos on here?I understand if you take great pics then you would like some nice things said about them,but isnt that what the other forums are for?I like posting here and getting constructive criticism but some times some of the critiques I read (on mine and mostly on others) seems to be given with a superior attitude.This post is oneof them.Rodney you attacked Chrisand insulted himfor his opinion,which iswhat you get in this forum.You said he was untrained and pretty much blew off his critiques as amateurish and not to be considered.If you dont like the criticism then why bother to post?Now I dont know if your a professional or not,but you sure do come off as snobby.

Sorry,I know I am new here but this hasbeen onmymindfor a while.

So how many of you sell photos?And what type do you sell?

Charlie

I am in no way a pro, however I have sold a number of shots Ive done for a sporting club. My husband also uses some of my photos in his videos he sells (usually club events in which he takes the video and I tag along and take photos for myself to enter in my local photographic club). I have no desire to be a pro as this is my hobby and it's how I take time out for myself. However having said that it does not stop me from wanting to be as good as a pro:-)

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 1:23 PM   #33

Rodney;

I believe part of the perception here is that when offered criticism of your own work, you jump in to defend what you have done quite strongly, which makes it seem as if you are unwilling to accept the criticism. If someone declares a part of a photo ditracting, then distracting it is - to him. If you disagree, it may not be necessary to respond, but just to keep in mind that at least one person feels this way. If you believe that a trained eye is required to appreciate a photo, that says something about the photo as well as the critic.

All;

Let's remember to read the forum guidelines and not take things personally. I try to keep in mind the Zen aphorism that " A wise man can learn more from a fool, than a fool from a wise man."

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 1:53 PM   #34

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
Rodney;

I believe part of the perception here is that when offered criticism of your own work, you jump in to defend what you have done quite strongly, which makes it seem as if you are unwilling to accept the criticism. If someone declares a part of a photo ditracting, then distracting it is - to him. If you disagree, it may not be necessary to respond, but just to keep in mind that at least one person feels this way. If you believe that a trained eye is required to appreciate a photo, that says something about the photo as well as the critic.

All;

Let's remember to read the forum guidelines and not take things personally. I try to keep in mind the Zen aphorism that " A wise man can learn more from a fool, than a fool from a wise man."

brian
Brian,

Until one develops a trained eye, he/she may see a distraction or something that doesn't work, but are not really sure what it is. They often go fishing for a solution. It is difficult to get individuals to understand this until they actually experienc it.

If someone offers a critique to my work and states that something is distracting, then I want to know why. Is it a rule I've ineffectively broken or what?

Everyone here seems to take great pride in finding where I'm at fault and that is fine...it isn't difficult to do. I'm always learning too and if someone wants to give me sound advice that is great and I appreciate it.

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 2:48 PM   #35

The debate about the debate is human nature. One expects in this forum to centre the comments on the picture posted, review the objects, lighting etc. It's expected that the details and comments of the members will end up referring back to whatever is in the photo that inspires comment. Often, it seems someone winds up being more obsessed with the comment and the thinking behind it, than the photo it's directed at. It's all good. Like people magazine. I notice that geometry seems to play a part in a lot of these discussions. Here, it seems to me the angle of the tree branch directs the eye to left, then to the rocks, and then to where the frame was. I noted this earlier. So whether or not the contrast is flat, the geometric shape of the frame will invite scrutiny. The waterfall allows the gaze to remain stationary, it's plane is horizontal, and they are layered, so this too, will centre the gaze at that level. No one merely takes a single pass at a photo tho, and the first gaze is not what makes the lasting impression. Often, upon examing a picture (as in the Mona LIsa), the more subtle details, (like her smile) despite lack of contrast, are the ones which remain and the work is identified by this. So, I would not discount a frame being unoticed, merely because the contrast is slight. Best regards, this is one of the best discussions ever...

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 5:02 PM   #36

Wow,

I came here to learn from others who have more experience than I and hope that this forum was the place for sure.

I have posted a few pictures and little if any comments made on anything. I am at a loss as to how I will learn anything if it seems that no onehas any comment on what I post for critique and technique.

I have an untrained eye for sure and actually only one eye that I can see out of. I take it that an opinion offered on posts are not taken with any validity since I am new and learning and trying to enjoy this hobby but to my dismay there seems to be more distracting posts than constructive ones.

My untrained eye comment on this unframed picture finds it to be composed very well, maybe a post of this same picture beinga bit (ever so slightly) brighter? Also, maybe a bit slower shutter speed to give a more dreamy effect of the water would have been my say on technique.

As is, I would sincerely buy this photo and put it matted as the original post and with a brown frame. It works well for me. I do like what Rodney posts except for that bump on the log shot. :G
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 5:24 PM   #37

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
Wow,

I came here to learn from others who have more experience than I and hope that this forum was the place for sure.

I have posted a few pictures and little if any comments made on anything. I am at a loss as to how I will learn anything if it seems that no one has any comment on what I post for critique and technique.

I have an untrained eye for sure and actually only one eye that I can see out of. I take it that an opinion offered on posts are not taken with any validity since I am new and learning and trying to enjoy this hobby but to my dismay there seems to be more distracting posts than constructive ones.

My untrained eye comment on this unframed picture finds it to be composed very well, maybe a post of this same picture being a bit (ever so slightly) brighter? Also, maybe a bit slower shutter speed to give a more dreamy effect of the water would have been my say on technique.

As is, I would sincerely buy this photo and put it matted as the original post and with a brown frame. It works well for me. I do like what Rodney posts except for that bump on the log shot. :G
LAWD...Shud up bout that bump on the log! :-)
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 7:05 PM   #38

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
Wow,

I have an untrained eye for sure and actually only one eye that I can see out of. a brown frame. It works well for me. I do like what Rodney posts except for that bump on the log shot. :G
...er ahem!.....perhaps I might timidly offer thisquote.."in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king" Metaphorically, and in jest, :-)for any of the more sensitive amongst us....best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 7:34 PM   #39

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
...er ahem!.....perhaps I might timidly offer thisquote.."in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king" Metaphorically, and in jest, :-)for any of the more sensitive amongst us....best regards,

KennethD

Sensitive? Nah. Born crosseyed in all seriousness and had cosmetic surgery when I was twelve. Been berated and made fun of in my younger years over it. Now I am a bit old to care. But never heard of your quote before.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 10:10 PM   #40

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:

KennethD

Sensitive? Nah. Born crosseyed in all seriousness and had cosmetic surgery when I was twelve. Been berated and made fun of in my younger years over it. Now I am a bit old to care. But never heard of your quote before.

vIZnquest, Im in the same boat, born with only sight in my right eye and the left only pretty much useless seeing hazy movement., I used to have a contact lens for the left eye but could never see (the reason being that I was six and cheated on the eye sight test when the doctor left the room and I memorized the eye chart so the lens supplied was useless). Im told there is nothing to do to help my left eye.

However many people say this is a bonus in my case because I often see things differently as my doctor has found that my right eye compensated for the loss of the left and has depth perception of twoo good eyes. My hubby always complains that I see things differently when we try to take the same photo and mine works out better.:-):-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote