Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 29, 2005, 9:57 PM   #1

What do you guys think?

Please visit my website too.

www.chriskaylerphotography.com
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:07 PM   #2

Very nice pic.Greatthat it looked at you,makes it that much better.

Charlie
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:26 PM   #3

Nice legs!
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 12:13 AM   #4

Nice!
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 10:02 AM   #5

beautiful, you should post this in the wildlife forum, Norm and Eric would love this shot. What camera do you use?
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 10:44 AM   #6

Thanks guys,

This was taken with the 20D, 300 f4 IS + 1.4 TC, and 550EX.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 10:59 AM   #7

Chris Kayler wrote:
Quote:
Thanks guys,

This was taken with the 20D, 300 f4 IS + 1.4 TC, and 550EX.
Chris,

Thank you for the details. Not too long ago I stated that many photographers used flash for shots as this and was basically laughed at. :-)

Will you provide a few more details about using flash for this shot? Is there any special technique you've implemented here like flash compensation?

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 11:41 AM   #8

Chris how far away were you that you were able to use a flash on this guy?I know that flashes can go quite a bit,but didnt think most people could get that close to use a flash.

Thanks

Charlie
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 1:43 PM   #9

Flash is an essential part to any wildlife photography. I don't know of any serious wildlife photographers who do not at least own a flash, and I know most use it when it's called for. There are two types of flash.. main, and fill flash. Main is when you use the flash as the actual light source, instead of complimenting the existing light. Such as at night or when they're is very low light and your shutter speed would be too slow to be effective with the existing light. By speeding up your SS and using more flash, the resulting image is not underexposed. Flash as main is much more difficult imo so as to not make the image look "overflashed", but it can be used effectively with the right technique and amount of flash. Then there is fill flash, this technique is used to make the subject "pop", to even lightning, to provide a catchlight, etc. On overcast days, the flash will bring the subject to life. When it's sunny out and getting near noon, with the sun directly overhead, it can create harsh shadows, by using a kiss of fill flash, the shadows can be lessened to a degree by letting the flash brighten up the shadows a bit. When the sun is behind the subject making it backlit, flash can also be used to give some detail in the front of the subject, while not completely overexposing the rim lighting around the subject caused by the backlighting.

For this image, it was sunny, and the light was not too harsh yet - the picture was taken at 9:20AM - ,but you may notice a slight shadow on his breast and belly, this would have been more pronounced without the flash. Another thing I should mention, is that for wildlife photography with flash, a "better beamer" is a must. This is a fresnel lens which you attach to the front of your flash, acting basical ly as a magnifying glass, allowing you to project your flash farther distances.

Charlie, I was at most about 20 feet from the chickadee when I took this.

Oh and also, I almost always use exposure compensation, and in this case the flash was set to -2 to provide just a hint of flash and some detail in the blacks.