Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 3, 2005, 9:29 AM   #11

God I feel old on here:-):!::!::!:

First to Chris Kayler, wonderful shots from one so young, I would have sworn you were in your thirties.

Anyway, about me

Im a 46 year old womanwho began an interest in photography at the age of 12. My first camera was a little point and shoot agfa that my father got me for my 12th birthday. Somehow it went from there. When my children were born 24 and 16 years ago I had many opportunities to photograph. My first SLR was a cheap zenit that I purchased in 1990 and then I really got interested and began entering competitions, most years I would win something in some competition. In 1996, I lost interest, we had little money and film shooting was expensive so I took a break from photos for about three years. A new Job (my hubby and i are self employed long distance courier drivers) brought more money and I got my first digital camera (canon A10 1.3 mega pixel that cost heaps) in 2001. I upgraded to Canon G3 in 2003 and in jan 2004 discovered this website.

I started looking mainly into the wildlife section and marveled at the beautiful photos, mainly by Norm and Eric and tried hard with the G3 and a teleconverter to get similar shots but realized that the only way that was going to happen was by going DSLR. I got my 300D last July and have not looked back, I have since upgraded lenses and purchased filters and other equipment on Ebay. Ebay is now my second obsession:-)

Now my family thinks Im obsessed with birds, I just love photographing them and other wildlife. I plan to photograph every bird within a 200 kilometer radius of my home:-) I truly get a high from the chase and capture of photos of birds, some Ive never seen before and family and friends now marvel at my photos, not that they are brilliant or anything, just that fact that Ive managed to get so many different shots in such a brief period.

Im learning more every day through this site and thanks to people like Normcar, Eric , kalypso, Frank, Rodney and many more i cant think of off the top of my head, I'd like to thank for widening my knowledge of the different forms of photography.

I also love looking at everyones photos whether they are good shots or not, you can learn so much just by looking at other peoples work.

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 9:56 AM   #12

Ok here goes,lol. I am 30 years young. I am a stay at home mom of my two little ones. I have posted pics of them in the family members forums. No comments were added though so I'm not sure if anyonehas seen them or not,lol. They are adorable of course,lol. Anyway they are seven and five years old. When they were born that is really when my interest in photography began. Don't get me wrong I have always liked photography but from the moment they entered my lifeI suddenly became obsessed with capturing every moment in time,lol. At first I just had a little point and shoot. From there I wanted toget more creative so my other half(of fifteen years). Yes do the math I know,lol. We were highschool sweathearts, how lame is that!:blah:Anyway he bought me an old chinnon 35mm camera off of e-bay. Very basic yes, but itallowed me tobe a little more creative up until last year. Than I wanted something a little better, something to grow with my changing needs. I was going to buy an F100 but I decided to take the plunge into the world of digital and go with the D70. It's a whole new world to me but I am learning slowly. It's a very confusing camera:? for a newbie like myself. I'm sure in no time it willall be second nature to me. Right now my interest is in people and street photography. It's Just a hobby for now. I absolutely love it. I think people portraits is where my true interest is though. I find myself thinking and wondering what it would be like to have my own portrait studio in my home,lol. Hmmm. One day maybe. Well that's my story and how I got into photography. I look forward to learning with all of you in the forums.

Cheers, jules.:-)
lil_pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 10:46 AM   #13

Hi my name is Steve, no relation to the owner of the site

I'm one of those amateurs that has always had an interest in photography, but has never had the time nor the inclination to take it real seriously. That was until digital photography made shooting less expensive (after the initial investment of the camera, of course). Now, I'm starting to get back into it more seriously and will do so even more once my workload at my job slackens a little.

I'm 38 now, but started shooting practically from the time I could hold a camera. My dad encouraged me, and even though he is not a professional either, you should see the shelves and shelves of slides he has taken over the years! Our lives have been well-chronicled on film. My first camera was some cheapie that took 126 roll film, and I've had a camera in some form since then. My first "serious" camera was a Canon AE-1 (the original, not the Program) that I got from my late grandfather. That's been replaced by a Minolta Maxxum with an assortment of lenses (nothing really expensive, but enough variety to cover most shooting situations). My first digital was an Olympus D490 (2MP) and that has been replaced by a Canon A85 (4MP). We will continue to use that as a quick point-and-shoot (even tho it's really a little more powerful than that) and I plan to buy a KM 7D in the near future (because I won't have to buy new lenses... my present Minolta ones are compatible). Once that camera is in hand I really plan to put my skills to the test.

That's it in a nutshell... I hope to use these forums as a source of inspiration and really get out there and see what I can do. Who knows? Maybe I'll even sell some photos someday.
StevenBVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 1:08 PM   #14

I do have a couple of cats too, I think I forgot to mention that.
Lonnie
javascript:emoticon(':|', 'images/emoticons/camera.gif')
javascript:emoticon(':|', 'images/emoticons/camera.gif')
Attached Images

Lonnie Honeycutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 7:29 AM   #15

I suppose i'll share as well. I'm a 24 y.o guy in Perth.I enjoy travelling and the outdoors, which is precisely why i began taking photography seriously less thana year ago. i owned a nikon coolpix before and just took normal travel shots, but i suppose the passion grew and now i'm trying to learn to take pictures with more quality. Now i own a Nikon D70 which has been great so far.

I'm still studying at the moment but when i finish soon, i'll be working in the health sector, so maybe i'll move more into people photography. Just watching and learning for now. Just wanna say this forum has been great for building up my skill. Thanx guys
clem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 11:06 AM   #16

I have a cat too, but no one wants to see pictures of it.
Proxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 1:28 PM   #17

Proxes wrote:
Quote:
I have a cat too, but no one wants to see pictures of it.
It's a good thing that you didn't put up any pictures of your
cat then.
Thanks, Lonnie
Old May 4, 2005, 1:32 PM   #18

You took that wrong. I take lots of pictures of my cat, but people never show much interest in seeing them. So they are just for me and the people I know that love cats.
Proxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 3:17 PM   #19

Proxes wrote:
Quote:
You took that wrong. I take lots of pictures of my cat, but people never show much interest in seeing them. So they are just for me and the people I know that love cats.
Thanks once again for pointing that out in such a nice and positive way. How could I have been so mistaken about what you were trying to say? I am so glad you said it in a way I could hopefully understand. And I am sorry that you feel as though your cats are so ugly.

Or could it be that I think you shouldn't look if it offends you or at least don't look very long or don't look so long that you feel as though you have to straighten me out about what I put in the " TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF POST".

Thank You, ever so much, Lonnie
Old May 4, 2005, 3:57 PM   #20
djb

Proxes, i like cats!!! please post a picture or two. thanx!!

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote