Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 30, 2005, 11:22 AM   #1

Have been trying to adit photos as advised by Rodney. Any opinion on this one.

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2005, 11:34 AM   #2

Thinking maybe a bit darker?

Charlie

Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 11:39 AM   #3

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
Have been trying to adit photos as advised by Rodney. Any opinion on this one.
Ah, you are getting the hang of it. Bump up the contrast a bit and you have it nailed. I did a levels adjustment on the provided edit.

Rodney
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 11:56 AM   #4

Im still having problems with the levels, I cant seem to get the effect you do, like porcelain:roll:
Old Apr 30, 2005, 4:45 PM   #5

To add contrast using levels, just slide both the left side in a bit.. around ~10 pixels in this case looks good, and the right side in a bit. This makes darks darker, and light's lighter.. giving more contrast.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 8:46 PM   #6

sowith the level sliders, Is the one on the right for the right hand side of the photo and the one on the left for the left hand side of the photo? Excuse my ignorance:roll:
Old Apr 30, 2005, 10:24 PM   #7

Nope, it has nothing to do with what part of the image it affects in terms of left and right. Digital images are made up of pixels. Every pixel has a number value. These # values range from 0 to 255. 0 is completely black, and 255 is completely white. The levels tool has the same principle. The left slider is for "shadow" (dark) pixels, and the right slider is for "highlights" (bright) pixels. If you slide the left slider in 10 pixels, it will make all dark pixels 10 pixels darker. If you slide the right sider in 10 pixels, it will make all bright pixels 10 pixels brighter. Basically, by moving both sliders you make darks darker, and brights brighter, giving more contrast.
Old May 1, 2005, 2:16 AM   #8

Thanks, that helps, sorry to be such a dummy
Old May 1, 2005, 2:26 AM   #9

Alady,

You recognize those who have the ability to help you better your photography and post skills and have maintained a gracious attitude for any help you receive on the forum. That make you NOT A DUMMY. :-)

I did a levels adjustment because I wanted to increase the overall brightness of the image. The result is more contrast because I made the light pixels of the image brighter.

Further adding to comments from Chris: The middle adjustment slider will increase all pixels equally. The reason you thought each slider adjusted one side of the image is because many images will have a highlight side and a shadow side as does the image you have here. When you adjust the slider for the darks, it appears that only one side of the image is increasing/decreasing in darkness.

Images such as the one you have here will always need some levels or curves adjustments because of the dynamic range limitations of digital cameras. I'm not a technical guru so maybe someone with a better understanding of the DR abilities of digitals will chime in and give us all a valuable lesson.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote