Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 1, 2005, 9:12 PM   #21

Hey Brian,

Check this out:

http://www.naturescapes.net/042004/do0404.htm
Old May 1, 2005, 10:08 PM   #22

My point was more along the lines of the stress caused by the animals being startled and leaving off what they were doing, which is usually feeding. Wild animals spend much of their time in search of food. To frighten them away from feeding grounds is just a bit rude. Try imagining someone hiding in a corner and suddenly flashiing lights in your eyes while you are eating dinner.

I reiterate: please check with game warden or wildlife biologist prior to trying this.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 11:03 PM   #23

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
Try imagining someone hiding in a corner and suddenly flashiing lights in your eyes while you are eating dinner.

brian

HAHA I laughed out loud at this.Sorry but I have a weird sense of humor.

Charlie
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 3:10 AM   #24

eeeeee...yaaa....but an ounce of common sense prevails here. The posture of these animals is exactly what it suggests in the licking photo. As long as you don't jump out from behind a rock (while they're eating their burgers) they are E X T R E M E L Y laid back. This is in a National park, they are photographed more than Janet Jackson during a dress malfunction episode. In this particulair neck of the woods, by far the vast majority treat them with dignity and respect. They remained where they were after I had stopped snapping pics. There was no thundering stampede. No need to worry. In the decades I've been coming and going through those mountains, I've not seen anyone acting like a doofus and not giving animals their space. Now, on the flip side, I H A V E had to scrape off their apples from the patio of some places I've stayed at...they seem to act like the park belongs to them! (fancy that!) :-) Thanks, best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 12:46 PM   #25

I hope this remains within the parameters of the rules...regarding number of posts, but even tho this is a poor photograph, it illustrates again how reflective these deer eyes really are. None is head on to the camera, they are all but out of flash range and they S T I L L reflect like crazy! Best regards,

KennethD
Attached Images

Old May 2, 2005, 1:23 PM   #26

kenneth...a flash bracket and hot shoe cable is necessary to get the flash up higher...
it's all about the distance of the flash to the lens..
that'll stop the steel eye..
Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 2:33 PM   #27

You don't necessarily need a flash bracket, but you do need to get the flash farther away from the lens. A cable and long pole will work just fine. :-) I know lots of D70 users simply hold their flash units away as far as they can reach and it seems to work well in most cases.

Kenneth, do you have a flash with a hotshoe mount or are you using the built in flash?

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 3:10 PM   #28

I'm late on this thread but I have a comment on the picture that Ken took.

In such low light conditions couldn't you effectively set the camera up, combination of aperture and shutter, to where it can't take in ambient light and the flash effectivly becomes the shutter? (the picture is only exposed for the brief moment the flash fires)

That should freeze all movement, etc. but I guess the problems are the basic limitations of the flash, distance and strength.

Just a thought.
Proxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 3:13 PM   #29

Brian, I've yet to find any subject that will flee because of a flash being fired, in fact.. most ignore it completely. That's not to say that if my flash scared off some deer and they moved 50 feet away, that when I approached them again that I would use flash again.. i'm interested in the welfare of any subject over getting the shot, but I just don't think flash causes any harm.. physically or annoyingly.

Kenneth - from the looks of the depth of field in that shot, it appears that you were using a pretty short lens, which tells me that you don't have a better beamer, or maybe are even using the popup flash? You would benefit greatly from an external flash, and a better beamer. And as others said to reduce the steel eye get the flash as far from the top of the lens as you can!

Proxes - absolutely you could, but it would require enough flash power as you said. Also, it would look pretty bad in this situation because of the light falloff, leaving a black background. Some like the look in macro, but for mammals, it doesn't look that great.
Old May 2, 2005, 3:44 PM   #30

Finally, maybe this year is the year I get these beauties in a pic I can be proud of! There are enough pointers here to help me do that for sure. Chris, you are quite right, these creatures are not frightened by a flash, they continued eating as if I wasn't there. (You can see that) You get to know where you can and can't stand and when not to approach, after a while. I'm certain I'll be posting better shots soon, and I'm off to the cabin in a couple of days. I might get lucky enough to see them. Too bad you guys can't beam up...we'd do a tutorial. Ok, in a few days I might be able to post some better stuff. Best regards...

KennethD