Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 1, 2005, 10:50 PM   #1

i'm an FNG. just scored a Canon EOS XT with kit lense - an upgrade from a fuji P&S. i'm already looking forward to getting some better glass for this camera.
Attached Images

fly_tosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2005, 6:31 AM   #2

Good shot and exposure. I like seeing purple flowers on a green background. The only quam i have is that the flower doesn't look fresh. It looks dead. Is it supposed to look like that?
clem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 7:27 AM   #3

that's a good question. i'm not sure what kind of flower it is, so i can't say what its supposed to look like.

i think most of my uncertainties about digital photography have to do with post processing. here i added some contrast and unsharp mask in photoshop.
Old May 2, 2005, 7:58 AM   #4

If I'm not mistaken, this is an Iris, and it does look to be a little past its prime, however it still retains nice color which is captured nicely.
StevenBVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 9:06 AM   #5

This comment is in no way directed at the above photo, which I find quite pleasant to look at.

This may not be of any interest to anyone on these forums but I learned something from a photographic judge last year about flower photography. One of the things they drop points on a flower shot for is blemishes on a plant. I asked why and the response was , "make sure you take photos of fresh, live plants, not ones they are on their last legs". The attitude was that if you can't be bothered to find a really nice flower, don't bother at all:!:since then Ive looked for healthy plants or cloned out the yukky bits. Just thought for anyone ever entering a competition that it may be a help in some way.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 11:36 AM   #6

hm...alady..what's up with those judges?
that takes out any photos you might take to show how fragile life is....

about the upper image...
you did well here...the color is nice and the background is just up my alley (not distracting..but still shows what the world looks like around the flower)

in my experience, this photo is very tough to shoot..
it's large, and oddly shaped, so it's hard to find a composition that works..

you did pretty well..
btw...if you're looking for a macro lens..
definetely check out the Sigma 70-300mm APO macro...
i own one, and it's awesome...
Especially since it's only 210 bucks :-D
the main downside, is it's only macro at 200-300mm and it's only 1:2...

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 4:17 PM   #7

Here's something that probably has been brought up before in these forums, but since I am new, I wanted to share an observation.

I viewed this photo earlier today at work on a 20" monitor set at a resolution of1280x1024x32 bits. Then just now I looked at it again on my laptop at home with a 15" LCD at the same resolution. Monitors DO make a difference when viewing these photos!! On the 20", it looked nice, but on the LCD, the flower looks 3D... like it's almost coming out of the screen. Even though the flower may not be the freshest, it certainly looks better now on my home computer. Makes you wonder just how many people are viewing these photos on a less-than ideal monitor setting?
StevenBVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 4:33 PM   #8
Administrator

StevenBVT wrote:
Quote:
Here's something that probably has been brought up before in these forums, but since I am new, I wanted to share an observation.

I viewed this photo earlier today at work on a 20" monitor set at a resolution of1280x1024x32 bits. Then just now I looked at it again on my laptop at home with a 15" LCD at the same resolution. Monitors DO make a difference when viewing these photos!! On the 20", it looked nice, but on the LCD, the flower looks 3D... like it's almost coming out of the screen. Even though the flower may not be the freshest, it certainly looks better now on my home computer. Makes you wonder just how many people are viewing these photos on a less-than ideal monitor setting?
Monitor calibration can be a big problem when viewing photos. For example, if your monitor is calibrated improperly, and you adjust the photo for it, it may not look right on another monitor (and vice-versa).

IOW, your laptop may be the one that's not calibrated correctly, even though the image looks better on it. Or, your 20" monitor at work may not be calibrated properly, and if the photo was "tweaked" for that monitor, it may not look right on one that is calibrated.

I don't want to get too far off topic here, but since you brought up how a monitor difference can changethis photo's appearance, I thought I'd touch on it briefly. You really need to take monitor and printer calibration into consideration when processing images so that they work properly together, making sure your printer profile works well with the ink and paper you're using, too.

Here is a popular page discussing monitor calibration:

http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 8:00 PM   #9

yeah, i'm using an 18" Sony flat panel LCD. I haven't gotten serious enough to buy a calibration kit for it, but I may in the near future, as I'm enjoying my new found hobby.

interestingly enough, i uploaded this photo to my flickr page and it looks better there than it does posted here. I'm assuming it's because I had to really compress it for this forum.

So, aside from the flower that's past it's prime, the composition and light seem ok? any recommendations on photoshop techniques that would help?

Thanks for the comments so far. This is a great forum!