Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 2, 2005, 3:55 PM   #1

this was just a snapshot, don't blame me for composition etc :roll: it was also one of the first pictures i made with the camera i bought at that time in hongkong, my first digital ever . I think i need to crop this picture but how much?? anyone?
Attached Images

fong82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2005, 11:33 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome, and congratulations on your first digital camera.

That's a very powerful image, and invokes all sort of thoughts as to what might be happening. If you know, perhaps you can tell us the story of the person holding the cane (?) in the background.

I tried to crop it a lot of different ways, but I wasn't satisified with my attempts. When I cropped it so that the brighter light above was out of it, it just seemed to take out too much of the other elements which seem to add a bit of drama to the scene (which is one of the reasons I'd like to understand more of what we're seeing).

So, perhaps someone else will have some thoughts on it.

If I could make a suggestion...I think a date stamp really detracts froman image. You may want to consider not using this feature.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 3:18 AM   #3

How you crop this picture depends mostly on what you want the primary subject to be. My view would be to remove the bright light at the top and trim some from the left side.

brian
Attached Images

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 4:07 AM   #4

Here is my take on this pic. From the hard hat and disinterested look on the face of this lady, it would appear she is having to continue working long after most of us would wish to.

This is a striking image with the 'worker' resigned to her extended working life, seemingly oblivious to all around her.

Obviously this will look better cropped from the original, but this is how I would do it.

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 7:32 AM   #5

thnx all,

JimC - the shot was taken in one of the famous markets in Mong Kok, hongkong. they were raising a scaffoldong, in hongkong these are made from bamboo, the lady in the picture passes the bamboo scaffolding-pole's on from the ground to the people in the staging.

when i got back in holland and looked back at the pictures i noticed the date was annoying me, i'm not using it anymore

stevekin - you were right, in hongkong most people used to work 10 hours a day, more than we used to.

Old May 3, 2005, 1:33 PM   #6
Administrator

fong82 wrote:
Quote:
JimC - the shot was taken in one of the famous markets in Mong Kok, hongkong. they were raising a scaffoldong, in hongkong these are made from bamboo, the lady in the picture passes the bamboo scaffolding-pole's on from the ground to the people in the staging.
Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize that bamboo was used for scaffolding which is one reason I was so puzzled by this image.

I spent some time in Hong Kong a few years back when I was involved in a software project (December 1997 timeframe -- just as the news about the Chicken Flu was making the front page of newspapers). ;-)

One of the things that I found fascinating was the diversity you have in a small physical area. For example, you may have a nice office complex on the bottom floor of a building, with everyone dressed in business attire. Yet, you see tenants without as much financial means living in apartments above these businesses, with tattered clothes drying on the balconies.

I saw the same thing in the market areas. You may seemodern businesses and restaurants in close proximity to someone selling produce and livestock.

Your photo also capturesa similar diversity in construction material. Now, you've gotan older building material like Bamboobeing used in an area where the buildings' construction is probably basedon using concrete and steel.

The image it presents is quite powerful to me (especially the facial expression captured), regardless of the reasoning behind it. I hope we'll be seeing a lot more from you.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 2:20 PM   #7

Hard to work with this one, but nice picture, for sure...best regards,

KennethD
Attached Images

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 5:17 PM   #8

thnx JimC for your thoughts.

i have a photo of that same area that 'explains' your words very well.
i will post it in a new thread