Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 2, 2005, 8:51 PM   #1

IMAGE REMOVED..sorry.

StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2005, 12:44 AM   #2
Administrator

I think that one may need a few repairs. Is it insured for neglect? :blah:

Idon't know if it would be better without seeing it. So, you may alreadyknow the answer to this. But, I'd probably consider taking it fromdifferent angles versus straight on for comparison purposes.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 6:05 AM   #3

Hello StitchBabe,

This is one of those images you either like or you don't. I generally like shots like this. This one is a bit too static and the centered composition isn't interesting for me. The additional space on either side doesn't work well at balancing the image...Maybe it would be better if you had more space at the bottom or the top??

I would like to see it less saturated too. Others will prefer more vibrant colors so I guess you have to keep your audience in mind.

Provided is an edited version that I find a little more interesting.

Thank you for sharing.

Rodney

Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 4:27 PM   #4

I agree with Rodney's edit, but there's something interesting about the straight-on view... I think it's the symmetry and the "face" of the car which is attractive to me. It certainly is static, but is more, hmmm, statuesque, than Rodney's edit. IMO the edit demonstrates the car as a sideways leaning artifact from yesteryear; your shot almost makes it a monument to the endurance of metal. I think either is appropriate, depending upon your intent.
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 5:33 AM   #5

perdendosi wrote:
Quote:
I agree with Rodney's edit, but there's something interesting about the straight-on view... I think it's the symmetry and the "face" of the car which is attractive to me. It certainly is static, but is more, hmmm, statuesque, than Rodney's edit. IMO the edit demonstrates the car as a sideways leaning artifact from yesteryear; your shot almost makes it a monument to the endurance of metal. I think either is appropriate, depending upon your intent.

I think I'd like the original better if more space were at the bottom of the frame and maybe more at the top too. There is lots of space on either side, but little at the top or bottom giving it a bit of a crunched look. The original has an unusual Portrait feel to it which I kind of like. :-)

Rodney
Old May 5, 2005, 12:04 PM   #6

Thanks to everyone who commented on this image. If anything, it was a good learning experience.

JimC-I do have many different angles of this truck ...I decided to post this one.

Rodney-I imagine it's a matter of taste as I'm not fond of the tilted look to the truck and with the cropping it looks as though the truck is 'boxed' up. Thank you...I do value your opinions.

Perdendosi-Yes, it's all about intent ...and what one person might like and another doesn't...as is with many things in life....

Thanks again!! :-)

StitchBabe
StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 12:59 PM   #7

I like your version, StitchBabe.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 1:15 AM   #8
Super Moderator

how 'bout this for a little added interest.. its quick n dirty, but you get the idea...
Attached Images

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 1:15 PM   #9

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
how 'bout this for a little added interest.. its quick n dirty, but you get the idea...
Yaaa....now, there's an edit I didn't see coming! I do think this looks cool....best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 1:56 PM   #10

StitchBabe,

My edit is for demonstration purposes. I rarely ever care for images that have been fixed. I provided it to get a point across. If this truck is one you can shoot again, I'd do so. You like the image you've posted best of a series of shots you've taken of this scene, but liking it doesn't make it interesting or a strong composition. Sure, the old truck is interesting to many, but as a scene, it is lacking. Try to get a more interesting composition. A different time of day with clear skys so you'll have more directional lighting can make it more dramatic. An angular shadow of the truck could give this image a less static feel.

Good luck!

Rodney