Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 3, 2005, 5:15 AM   #1

Does anyone else think my Grandson George does a good impression of Popeye's little'un ? His first Plum and I think it's just hit the sour taste buds for the first time.

Difficult I know, to get the perfect shot with an 18 month old, can't seem to get him to pose exactly how I would like :roll:. Is there anything I could do with regards to camera settings to enable me to be more prepared for an instant grab ?? The EXIF is there.

Thanks,

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2005, 8:43 AM   #2

hey steve, cute baby.:-) I have found that with my 1 year old grandson and 1 year old niece it's easier to just follow them about in their natural state, I gave up posing them, even the shots I have taken that look posed were taken candid, it's just the photoshop work on the backgrounds that make them look posed. The other thing Ive taken to doing is shooting at ISO 400 asI seem to get less blur when they are on the go. The shutter on my camera is going to wear out with them running me around:-)Just shoot until you fill the card and don't chimp in between and check out the results after you download, you may well be surprised with some of your results.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 2:28 PM   #3

Thanks for the tips Julie. I do actually pretty much the same as you, follow him around, snapping away and hoping some of them are keepers. I was at 200 ISO on this one and although Noise Ninja wasn't desperately needed, it did improve theoutput.I use an A2, so cranking up to 400 ISO is usually something I only do when I feel it's necessary........... What am I saying, chasing after an 18 month old who is fully aware as to how his legs operate would possibly mean it isnecessary !!!

Will try that more often and be very nice to Noise Ninja. I too am getting too many blurry shots of George, especially when he's kicking a football around (soccer ball to you).

I understand what you mean about creating the 'posed' pics, will try that also.

Thanks for looking (and advice).

Stevekin.
Old May 3, 2005, 2:47 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Is there anything I could do with regards to camera settings to enable me to be more prepared for an instant grab ??

I think your A2 is probably pretty fast in the Autofocus Department, but if you want even faster response for those "instant grabs",you may want to consider just using manual focus set toa distance of around 2 meters to eliminate the AF lag time, keeping your lens set near it's wide angle position and using your feet for zoom.

A prosumer model has a pretty big advantage in the Depth of Field department compared to a DSLR, so this technique usually works pretty well for me with some cameras I've owned (keeping everything within the flash range acceptably sharp for the distances I'd normally be shooting at indoors).

Your lens starts out at 7.2mm actual focal length.

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

P.S.- It's rare that I even use the Autofocus indoors with a little Konica KD-510z I carry with me everywhere. I just setit's focus to 2 meters, try tostay at the wide angle lens setting using my feet for zoom, and shoot away.

No AF accuracy problems, no AF lag time. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 3:07 PM   #5

JimC wrote:
Quote:
you may want to consider just using manual focus set toa distance of around 2 meters to eliminate the AF lag time, keeping your lens set near it's wide angle position and using your feet for zoom.

Thanks Jim. Manual focus is something i've not actually bothered with too much at all. Although as you say, the A2 is no slouch with it's AF and I tend to pre-focus a lot (half press the shutter), I will definitely experiment withyour suggested method.

Stevekin.