Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 7, 2005, 4:51 PM   #1

I just posted a Pink Lady Slipper picture and it looks terrible, washed out. What did I do wrong? I clicked on browse, and opened the picture.

Shirley
scurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2005, 5:32 PM   #2

scurtis wrote:
Quote:
I just posted a Pink Lady Slipper picture and it looks terrible, washed out. What did I do wrong? I clicked on browse, and opened the picture.

Shirley
Shirley,

I looked at your Lady Slipper and it looks OK to me. It's way too big but it seems
to be a nice enough picture. You did nothing wrong in your post. I wonder what you're seeing that I'm not?

dale

PS: Way too big is an overstatement. A little too big is more like it.
thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 5:53 PM   #3

scurtis wrote:
Quote:

Shirley
SHIRLEY!!!

I found it! A post by "ferny" tells you how to post A picture. But yours seems
fine. There is other helpfull hints though. Here is the link under General Q&A.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=2

dale
thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 8:19 PM   #4

Now I can't even find the picture I posted, only this post on what did I do wrong. When I looked at my picture it white all around the pale flower. ????

What size should it be so it doesn't look so big? I see it has to be less than 250 kb, so I picked one, resized it to 134 kb, you say that's Large. I took that same one and cropped it, now it says it's 174 kb. I don't understand this?

I'm going to try this again. Thanks for any advise

Shirley

Attached Images

Old May 8, 2005, 10:54 AM   #5

It looks fine to me Shirley, but before posting to the web, convert the image to sRGB. If you keep it in Adobe RGB there will be a loss of 10-15% saturation, which could be what you saw.
Old May 8, 2005, 1:35 PM   #6

Pixel dimensions and file size are two different things. I've resized your image to 700 pixels on the longest side and compressed when saving so the file size is 173kb.

Your image needs more contrast and isn't quite sharp enough.

Rodney
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 7:33 PM   #7

I've resized your image to 700 pixels on the longest side and compressed when saving so the file size is 173kb.

Rodney, Wow that's better, how did you do it? Thanks.I have Paint Shop Pro 8.

Shirley
Old May 9, 2005, 3:24 AM   #8

scurtis wrote:
Quote:
I've resized your image to 700 pixels on the longest side and compressed when saving so the file size is 173kb.

Rodney, Wow that's better, how did you do it? Thanks. I have Paint Shop Pro 8.
Shirley
Paint Shop Pro 8 is a very capable program. I'll share what was done with this image and you can customize the settings for other images.

I increased the overall brightness and gave it more contrast by doing a levels adjustment. In Paint Shop Pro 8 while holding down the Alt key, press A, B then L. You will see 2 sliders, but for now, we'll only use the top adjustment which is for input. Move each side of the slider in about 10-15 points. You'll see the values above change for each. Move the middle adjustment to the left to increase overall brightness or to the right to decrease brightness. You can see your changes in the preview window above. If you want to see the changes on the larger image, click the preview button(the eye) and you'll see your image change. The preview lock button is the eye with a lock. This locks the image preview on and all modifications will be applied to the actual image for preview. This works fine for levels adjustment, but other filters will require more time to execute and can slow down editing.

I sized the image and then ran the Unsharp Mask(USM) filter. In PSP8, you can use short cut keys. While holding down the Alt key, press A, S then U to pull up the USM filter. For this image I used the values Radius: 1.0, Strength: 95, Clipping: 4. The preview buttons mentioned above work the same for the USM filter.

I hope this will be helpful.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote