Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 10, 2005, 1:20 PM   #1

I'm sharing this because of the lighting technique used...I realize it is seriously lacking. :-) Of course, comments are always welcome.

It was 4pm when I shot this one. I found an area completely shaded from the sun with a big rock in the background with the sun hitting the water a few feet in front of the subject. The water reflects the main light and my fill is light that is diffused by trees and bouncing from surrounding rocks.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2005, 5:27 PM   #2

I don't know and I am not critiquing the photo as I don't know that much but why is the hazy look desireable.
When I say hazy I mean compared to your avatar photo to the left as it looks bright and clear.

Thanks, Lonnie
:?:
Lonnie Honeycutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 7:33 PM   #3

The face seems somewhat flat and featureless, especially in the nose and back of the jaw. Maybe it's my display?

mactek
mactek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 8:01 PM   #4

Lonnie Honeycutt wrote:
Quote:
I don't know and I am not critiquing the photo as I don't know that much but why is the hazy look desireable.
When I say hazy I mean compared to your avatar photo to the left as it looks bright and clear.

Thanks, Lonnie
:?:
Hi Lonnie,

I'm not following what you mean by hazy. Your comparison is of two entirely different lighting styles.

Rodney
Old May 10, 2005, 8:06 PM   #5

mactek wrote:
Quote:
The face seems somewhat flat and featureless, especially in the nose and back of the jaw. Maybe it's my display?
mactek
Yes, the lighting on the face is a bit flat as intended, but I'd not say it is featureless. This young male doesn't have the character lines that us more mature guys have which will be the same in any type of lighting.

Often, flat lighting is desirable and for many it is the more flattering style.

Rodney
Old May 10, 2005, 10:43 PM   #6
Super Moderator

the lighting overall works for me..

the problem i have is that there is not seperation between the hair and backround.. it is very difficult to tell where one ends and another begins...
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 10:54 PM   #7

This works very well for your son. His taste in clothes must come from you. The color is good against the background and I like the even flat lighting. That is what I see and the hair is defined well enough to distinguish from the background but his face does standout here and his eyes look good and not too bright.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 4:28 AM   #8

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
the lighting overall works for me..

the problem i have is that there is not seperation between the hair and backround.. it is very difficult to tell where one ends and another begins...
You may want to calibrate your monitor. Though the subject has dark hair and the background is dark, there are enough subtle highlights on the hair to provide seperation. Would more be better? Probably so.

Thanks for your comments.

Rodney
Old May 11, 2005, 6:03 AM   #9

Yes, i think that sharpening the hairline area and a touch more background blur would suit this photo. The bottom of the photo looks much shaper and cleaner than the top of the photo, may have been the lighting.

Overall well contructed and looks very natural which is what i think you wanted.

Is this your son, the eyes look the same
twofruitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 8:42 AM   #10

Rodney -- the technique that you mentioned -- wow. It's a great reminder for us to think not only of direct lighting (like the sun, a flash, or a softbox), and indirect, man made lighting (like a reflector) but using the environment to create lighting effects. From my understanding, you used the lake as a key, the reflections of the rocks was a fill, and the result is a smooth and softly lit subject.

Ignoring the other aspects of the picture (that you realize are lacking) that's absolutely fantastic. One more good thing for me to think about in the field!

Thanks for sharing.
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote