Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 13, 2005, 2:09 PM   #11

I agree. Opps jumping a little ahead of the game..
tim da tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 2:18 PM   #12

tim da tech wrote:
Quote:
I agree. Opps jumping a little ahead of the game..
You aren't too far ahead. :-) I know lots of people who started out with 6 studio lights and do just fine. I was way too clumsy and find that the majority of us are. A simple approach where those learning introduce additional variables as they learn seems to work well for most people. It is helpful that those beginning in portraiture know the alternatives even if it is more advanced than what they are currently doing.

It's nice to have you participating with us, Tim.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 2:27 PM   #13
Super Moderator

i was actually just looking at some reflector/diffuser combos last night thinking that it might be helpful.. but after reading your comments rodney, it makes much more sense for me to master what i have before introducing more variables.. it is much easier to manipulate 1-2 variables andanalyze thecause/effect relationships than it is to dothe same w/ 3 or more.. i also realized that i really need to keep a notebook handy so that i can keep track of the changes made between shots so that i can sort through what works and doesnt and not just rely on memory.. thank you to both for your comments, they were all very helpful..i will definately work on manipulating the contrast btwn subject and background next go around...

thanks, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 2:33 PM   #14
Super Moderator

i had another quick quesion... i was looking for some additional experience and a chance to observe someone that has mastered this putting into into practice.. but right now as i am involved in getting my phd, i dont have alot of time for formal classes..

do you know if it is commonplace for professional portrait photographers to allow someone to come by as a kind an informal apprentice when i would have the time?

thanks again, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 3:43 PM   #15

Try to find a local pro who's work you admire and just ask. I have had many appentices over the years, and the coolest thing is to run into one down the road when they are successful and they thank you for your time spent with them.

TDT
tim da tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 1:29 AM   #16

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
i was actually just looking at some reflector/diffuser combos last night thinking that it might be helpful.. but after reading your comments rodney, it makes much more sense for me to master what i have before introducing more variables.. it is much easier to manipulate 1-2 variables and analyze the cause/effect relationships than it is to do the same w/ 3 or more.. i also realized that i really need to keep a notebook handy so that i can keep track of the changes made between shots so that i can sort through what works and doesnt and not just rely on memory.. thank you to both for your comments, they were all very helpful.. i will definately work on manipulating the contrast btwn subject and background next go around...
thanks, dustin
Light modifiers are certainly great tools to have so I'd keep the reflectors and diffusers in the budget. Tim may have suggestions on which size will be most useful. I rarely ever use reflectors. When I want to modify outdoor lighting, I drag studio lights along with me instead. At this stage of your learning, I'd not introduce reflectors into your technique.

You can purchase white foamboard at office supply and craft stores that will work fine as a reflector too. Most Stapels carry a variety of sizes.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote