Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 13, 2005, 12:39 AM   #1

I would love some comments on the lighting and composition in this picture. If it was you, how would you improve it? What about the lighting? Frank, Kalypso any words of wisdom?

This was taken indoors, lit by natural light falling through a window and a fill flash covered with a diffusion screen. (I use a promax system, with a white insert and the diffusion screen on top of that. see http://www.lumiquest.com/lq931.htm)

Thanks!

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2005, 7:19 AM   #2

I would let some of her hair fall into the scene or maybe use some earing (not bright) to emphasis the mother feminity.

I see something weird on the baby┬┤s left arm(the position of his/her hand),... I guess I would take it off (in the pic of course NOT IN REAL LIFE :lol

The lighting and background are pretty nice.

SinRastro
SinRastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 11:20 AM   #3

The thing that jumps out at me is the lack of contrast between the mother & background (especially around her chin/neck & the end of her nose). Some sort of background light could be used (& the color temp won't matter since you are rendering the image in duo-tone), or you could use a different textured background. The background light may also help illuminate the babys left thumb...or you can lighten it in editing.

I also think this would be a good image for the Critiques & Techniques Forum (since that is what you are basically asking for).
Old May 13, 2005, 2:41 PM   #4

Thanks Sinrastro, Kalypso!

Good point about the lack of contrast. I'll work on that. BTW, the background is a white towel, nothing fancy :-)

Can you move the thread to the Critiques forum for me?

Sinrastro, I'm not sure what you mean with 'something weird on the baby's left arm' ?

Thanks!
Barthold
Old May 14, 2005, 7:11 PM   #5

I can't believe none of this forums regulars have anything to offer on this.......
Old May 14, 2005, 7:21 PM   #6

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
I can't believe none of this forums regulars have anything to offer on this.......
He asked for the lighting masters, Kalypso and Frank so maybe that is why?? Though there are many talented regulars on here, many do not consider themselves masters of the art so probably was reluctant to post.

The lighting looks fine to me. I'd brighten it up by increasing the highlights which will also boost up the contrast.

The only thing differenet I see that could have been done for this scene is to have reflected some light for fill.

Thank you for sharing.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 9:32 PM   #7

RodneyBlair wrote:
Quote:
Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
He asked for the lighting masters, Kalypso and Frank so maybe that is why?? Though there are many talented regulars on here, many do not consider themselves masters of the art so probably was reluctant to post.Rodney
I've been called many things before, but "lighting master" isn't one. It's also one of the many reasons I don't freely offer critiques of others work. I shoot only for the enjoyment of producing good images...& that's so subjective, I don't assume to know what someone else's vision might be.

That being said...I think Rodney (along with the other regulars here) are one of the best resources available to those that are wanting constructive commentary on their images. Nothing beats learning from others who have already gone through the process...instead of trying to reinvent your own wheel.
Old May 15, 2005, 10:31 PM   #8

I asked some feedback from Kalypso and Frank because I know their work. I've only recently started reading this specific forum, and simply was unfamiliar with all the other great people posting here! Please all share your thoughts, I'm here to learn!

Rodney, thank you. Maybe a stupid question but how 'do I increase the highlights', as you suggest?

Next time I'll definitely use some more fill, that should get rid of the lack of contrast between mom's face and the background too.

Kalypso, your work is great. I think most of us will benefit from your comments to their work.

Thanks all,
Barthold