Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 13, 2005, 5:58 PM   #1

I would welcome comments on my shot of West Burton waterfall.

john h
Attached Images

synint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2005, 6:13 PM   #2

Hello John. I noticed with this and your other posts, that the images are a little on the small side. I would recommend you resize, in this case, to something like 417 pixels wide by 800 pixels high. If you tell me which method you use, I can perhaps see where you are going wrong and maybe suggest an alternative way.

From what I can see though, it appears to be a very nice shot, but you will attract more critiques with a larger image.

Regards,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 6:29 PM   #3

Hi,

Thanks for the coment on picture sze. The way I have been re sizing is putting it in Photoshop and reducing the pixels wudth and height until pixcel dimension is less than 250. I would be greatful for any advice that reduces the bytes size to less than 250400 but leaves a bigger picture than I have been getting.

john h
Old May 13, 2005, 7:16 PM   #4

John, I recommend that you download ImageResizer from Microsoft PowerToys, if you are using Windows XP. Go here, http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

and scroll down , on the right you will find ImageResizer.exe. Download and run the program. Now when you have finished editing and save your image without making any changes to the dimensions in PS, you can just right click on any image (when not opened in PS), and click on Resize Pictures. You will have 4 basic options, I always use the small or large. For example, I can resize a 5.57Mb file using the medium option, which will give me an image dimension of 800 x 533 pixels and only 77.9kb !

It makes a copy, leaving the original untouched. It retains the file name with the suffix of whichever size you choose, (small), (medium), etc.

Hope this helps.

Stevekin.
Old May 13, 2005, 7:42 PM   #5

If you did wish to continue using PS to resize, then you should use the 'Save for Web' function. File/Save for Web.

When the box appears, click on Image size, to the right of the screen. Make sure constrain proportions is ticked. Preferably the largest size should be 800 pixels, so if your image is in portrait orientation, as is the waterfall, then put 800 in the height box. The width will automatically be filled in to the correct size, keeping the image in proportion. Then click on Apply. Obviously input the larger pixel size in the width box if the image is in landscape mode. Depending on the original file size this may or may not reduce it below 250kb. If it is still not small enough you then have to reduce the quality, (increase the compression). In the group of boxes above Image Size, select a compression quality in the drop down menu and/or move the Quality slider. Keep an eye on the file size towards the bottom left of the screen until you have reduced it enough. This method will not retain the Exif Info of your image, but ImageResizer will.

Hope this helps.

Stevekin.
Old May 13, 2005, 7:54 PM   #6

synint wrote:
Quote:
I would welcome comments on my shot of West Burton waterfall.

john h
John,

That is nice and does need to be bigger.

West Burton??? Where is that?

dale
thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 2:49 AM   #7

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the advice it is much appreciated. I have downloaded Image Resize and it works great and is so easy to use.

Regards,

john h
Old May 14, 2005, 2:54 AM   #8

Hi Dale,

West Burton is at Upper Wensleydale/Bishopdale, Yorkshire Dales and a nice spot if you are into waterfalls. You can get a lot of info if you just put West Burton into Google.

Regards,

john h